Bryozoan guesses

minnbuckeye

I occasionally pick up a few bryozoan when hunting for "fossils", but they must have something about them that are intriguing. These two specimens caught my eye and  were collected from a road cut in southern Indiana. There is Kope overlain by Belleview, Ordovician. After studying possible bryozoan that match, I am not sure of an ID. So let me know your thoughts.

Mike

First:

DSC_0048-001.JPG.ba05d5fc13a80c717236ee0a420eb535.JPGDSC_0037-001.JPG.6930ad7967f178c98d3727127e0c27a9.JPG 

Second:

DSC_0033-001.thumb.JPG.00dd9aed59d4d8d0da16ce1db2f7c088.JPGDSC_0035-001.JPG.c2fb32bffc2597d797a1bc4d4e254a7d.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

The second one looks like a branching form of Constellaria

• I found this Informative 4

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

@Northern Sharks, that was my gut instinct, but everywhere I searched, it said Constellaria is rare in the Kope. If it is rare, I like the specimen even more!! Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

59 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

@Northern Sharks, that was my gut instinct, but everywhere I searched, it said Constellaria is rare in the Kope. If it is rare, I like the specimen even more!! Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

Looks like Constellaria to me. I’m not familiar with their prevalence in the Kope formation, but this paper may help.

LINK

Karklins, Olgerts L., 1924-
Trepostome and cystoporate bryozoans from the Lexington Limestone and the Clays Ferry formation (Middle-Upper
Ordovician) of Kentucky.
(Geological Survey professional paper ; 1066-1)
(Contributions to the Ordovician paleontology of Kentucky and nearby states)

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I know bryozoans can be hard to ID without thin slicing. I just wanted some gut thoughts from members more knowledgeable than me, which are most of you are. Thanks for all the comments!!! Just what I wanted.

Mike