Calling All Silica Shale Experts and Peat Burns

minnbuckeye

On my way to Ohio to visit relatives, I was close enough to Paulding Ohio to take an hour or two to check out the Silica Shale piles so graciously put out by the La Farge Quarry. As always, it didn't disappoint! I do have a few fossils that I am a little unsure of. @Peat Burns Hopefully someone can help out.

Mike

First off, this one is HARD TO SEE. I photographed it 3 times and can't get it's subtle details to come through. I am 90% sure of bivalve. It comes to a point and the striations are along the growth lines, not the ribs. DSC_0050.thumb.JPG.be66edec18ec87efb7fa81ef5dd790b6.JPGDSC_0052.thumb.JPG.ee16a08df4ff80dbd4ea6dc6c0ecc144.JPGDSC_0051.thumb.JPG.1340d50f6493d9ce0037c10465195bb0.JPG 

Second up is what I think is a piece of a rostroconch..... But is just a guess. 

DSC_0044-001.thumb.JPG.ca04926981fe67616140a82bd51d0edd.JPGDSC_0045-001.JPG.e920c5b574a0730a8cf155b9c1d6d15d.JPGDSC_0046-001.JPG.1b719c913e2b2240f5f823dbbfee3339.JPG 

Finally a pretty brachiopod that has me stumped. I thought maybe pseudoatrypa but it is so round and no undulations like atrypa.

DSC_0042-001.thumb.JPG.6ba918c91c1c98b8cc63aa42f5229cb8.JPGDSC_0043-001.JPG.6d1dc33b364046c37befe03ec9ff95d5.JPG 

Almost missed this one, so small.  Zygospira modesta again??? I apologize I did not clean this one up yet. Just found it AFTER creating this post.

DSC_0058-001.thumb.JPG.7c92eed7a7b53b473bd7d699ba88fa85.JPG

Hi Mike @minnbuckeye

The first one might be Mytilarca cordata.  Not sure on the second one.  Possibilities include:  fragment of rostroconch (which I am leaning towards), partial Orthospirifer, a coral or bryozoan that grew alongside of an Orthospirifer (leaving an impression), or a bivalve (although I haven't found any bivalves there with ribs that big).

I agree with valve of Pseudoatrypa for item 3.

I don't remember the brachiopod (item 4). For some reason Cupulorostrum is coming to mind, but I'm not sure that's correct.  I'll have to check my collections. It's definitely not Zygospira if it's from Paulding.

Cool finds! (Especially if the second one ends up being rostroconch. Very rare there and a trip maker even if not complete).

Here's my Mytilarca cordata.  It's 6 cm long, and the most complete one I have.  Getting complete or even large chunks of them is very hard to do there.  They usually have brown periostracum still attached.

20191213_172118.thumb.jpg.68564deea98ef8c89ef8baf8afbabaeb.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

14 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

The first one might be Mytilarca cordata

@Peat Burns As I researched bivalve possibilities, I did see the picture you posted as well as another picture of Mytilarca from another source. From the other site, the bivalve had ribs and no growth rings. Mine has growth rings and no obvious ribbing. Your picture confused me in that it appears the dorsal view has what appears as rib like lines then the oblique view has growth rings. This is why I posted mine for identification.  If Mytilrca has no ribbing, then someone out there has a mislabeled bivalve.

Would you like me to send you the "rostroconch" for ID. If it is, then you can put it in your collection of Paulding material. If it isn't, then the trash can!! Maybe I can find some time to post my good finds before Xmas. Paulding was just one of 4 sites I visited to and from Ohio. All gave me some nice treasures!!

14 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

definitely not Zygospira if it's from Paulding.

I was kidding YOU on this one. Still do not know what it is, but I knew Zygospira was not a possibility!!!

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

definitely not Zygospira if it's from Paulding.

I was kidding YOU on this one. Still do not know what it is, but I knew Zygospira was not a possibility!!!

You're evil :shakehead:. But are you sure you didn't mix up some of your Cincinnatian with your Silica?  Here are your specimens side by side

inCollage_20191214_093019936.thumb.jpg.e9642552a3d82d539962c205659e2e69.jpg

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

Would you like me to send you the "rostroconch" for ID. If it is, then you can put it in your collection of Paulding material

Well, I guess you're not evil after all ;).  If you want to ship it, that would be agreeable to me.  It would be worth adding if it's a rostroconch. 

The picture of my Mytilarca may be a bit deceiving with regard to the ribs.  There are no distinct ribs, just fine striations in the periostracum.

@Peat Burns My Paulding bucket did tip on the way home. But that wouldn't explain how Ordovician got into my Devonian fossils. I did have a bryozoan to ID from a different location and it came up a rare find in the Kope Formation but not in the Richmond (a third site I visited).  Two questionable occurrences that leave me scratching my head....... I did show some children my fossils and hypothetically, I placed them back in the wrong bucket or they snooped a little more when I went back inside not knowing there was a difference in where the fossils go. A learning lesson for me.

Send me your address and I can mail the possible rostroconch. I do remember finding it and scratching my head, so it IS from Paulding. LOL