Jeffrey P

I bought a new old cabinet last winter and spent several months filling it with newly labeled specimens, most of them now stored in jewelry boxes. I took photos of it to show Tim, Fossildude19 and he suggested I post them in the Members Collections section. I followed his suggestion. The collection started in 2011 with a few fossil purchases off a well known public auction site. By the early spring of 2012 I was collecting in the field and the vast majority of my collection was self collected in that manner from sites, primarily in the Northeast and Ohio Valley as well as ones collected on trips to Texas, Germany and out west. There are also some gift specimens that I own thanks to the generosity of a number of friends, most of whom are on the Forum. 

The top of the cabinet is occupied by miscellaneous specimens, some that wouldn't fit in the drawers, some slated to be in a glass display case I hope to eventually get, and my collection of fossils found in New Jersey just above the Iridium Layer. 

IMG_4842.JPG

• I found this Informative 16

The first drawer has a variety of specimens; sponges, conularids, hyoliths, tentaculites, corals, and bryozoans

IMG_4845.JPG

IMG_4846.JPG

• I found this Informative 12

The next two drawers are my brachiopod collection: The first drawer includes specimens from the Cambrian through to the Lower Devonian. 

IMG_4849.JPG

IMG_4850.JPG

• I found this Informative 11

The next two drawers are my bivalve collection: The first drawer has some Ordovician bivalves, but the vast majority are Middle Devonian from Central New York. 

IMG_4855.JPG

IMG_4856.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

The next drawer is Bivalves from the Upper Devonian and Carboniferous through the Mesozoic and Cenozoic: 

IMG_4858.JPG

• I found this Informative 8

There is a whole drawer devoted to my collection of gastropods dating from the Ordovician through to the Miocene:

IMG_4862.JPG

IMG_4863.JPG

• I found this Informative 11

There is a drawer and a half devoted to cephalopods; nautiloids, goniatites, ammonites, and belemnites:

IMG_4865.JPG

• I found this Informative 12

So well cataloged, organized and presented; it makes me a little ashamed of my amassed heap of disorder. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The other half of the drawer is devoted to crustaceans including my collection of Middle Devonian phyllocarids:

IMG_4869.JPG

• I found this Informative 9