Another Dinosaur Saturday

Troodon

The Royal Terrell Museum shared  a super specimen they collected and prepared of a Gorgosaurus that is the most complete juvenile tyrannosaur specimen discovered in Canada (and possibly even in North America).

ELsYS5JWkAAt0Wo.thumb.jpeg.3bc48e3c1bbf0f18050df4a2d812f90f.jpeg

The Museum of the Rockies gave the skull of Big Al, MOR 693, a much needed acetone bath, new coat of vinac & a new conservation cradle before going back on exhibit. Big Al is one of the most complete Allosaurus specimens in the world!

2_ELtIGKOXYAAuF-P.thumb.jpeg.1a698a621276c3fdd722b01c3ae5d226.jpeg1_ELtIGJxUwAA48my.thumb.jpeg.d066af6bc4e124c07a90544d9a96d8c6.jpeg0_ELtIGJxU0AAoDcY.thumb.jpeg.8e7f5fac817bce5a8739ac1bbf4e5323.jpeg

The most complete sauropod specimen known is CM 11338, a juvie Camarasaurus lentus.    Courtesy: Saurian Spence

Dg0uoX7UYAARaWd.thumb.jpeg.ea425845b0b8c6686ee1dde452e50f54.jpeg

A tyrannosaur tooth from the Campanian of Alberta,  NHM London

Check out remarks on label 

D8c7aVEWsAAaH06.thumb.jpeg.fa83eb93d8ef7cff320eae1075908ea1.jpeg

Allosaurus snoot, very cool. Check out those pretty, jet black dagger teeth w serrations. From ROM toronto collections, Late Jurassic, Cleveland-Lloyd Quarry, Utah.  Big chompers

D8fGL4MWsAA9L9w.thumb.jpeg.09243ddd339d6294685a752a1afd125c.jpeg

The holotype of Styracosaurus albertensis (CMN 344) at the Museum of Nature. This centrosaurine ceratopsian dinosaur was collected by Sternberg in Alberta (in what's now Dinosaur Provincial Park), and named by Lambe in 1913

1576323707048_D-t1OKdX4AE_zoq.thumb.jpeg.2fcd0f237832aa769c169445d49433b1.jpeg

More Gorgosaurus, Healed bite marks in fossilized tyrannosaur skulls suggest they regularly engaged in face-biting behaviour. This Gorgosaurus upper jaw is an extreme example, with five raised scars.  Look at the size of that back tooth .. thats a 10cm scale, who said Gorgo teeth were small.  Makes me rethink how large these teeth got +3" does not appear unrealistic 

@-Andy-

EHLDm9iWkAAOP_8.thumb.jpeg.e0c8cf1dd88777f1e5dd9d1c1acf6971.jpegEHLDm-uWoAAtUjh.thumb.jpeg.17b0217969a288200139048d612a02ce.jpeg

A ornithopod cutie Weewarrasaurus, described from a stunning piece of colourful opalized jawbone from Down Under.  Thanks John Pickrell

ELGxJw_UEAARgd-.thumb.jpeg.bdb4cf6508b082ea7a0580999184ffaa.jpeg

• I found this Informative 19

Tyrannosaurid tooth from the north slope of Alaska, now is that not COOL , courtesy Alessandro Chiarenza

ELHyJESXkAMTNQ0.thumb.jpeg.dab8516cd571ff2e44bb7bdbb2fc836f.jpegELHyJESXsAIV2S4.thumb.jpeg.06c8167c36c62922af9b9eb14b3f3d3d.jpeg

Here’s a BIG Daspletosaurus tooth. From our quarry in the Oldman Formation of southern Alberta, ROM, David Evans 

EKkUyGMWkAABhS9.thumb.jpeg.36fc9a63b900c48b23883724f1a0730b.jpeg

Ngwevu intloko is very small and a genus of massospondylid sauropodomorph dinosaur from the Lower Jurassic Elliot Formation of South Africa.  Thanks to Josh Luke Davis

EFdu7ImXkAAAeKy.thumb.jpeg.a84a30874f63d2bd9d8b0f745b76c8b6.jpeg

Trex versus Saber Cat

DTWSRLdX4AE6FDd.thumb.jpeg.09ceda3b852b750835ea9947e8a597b2.jpeg.f7776c9286deb1ab2fc439170d86e77d.jpeg

NHM_London:

"I bring you the type and only specimen of the earliest-known tyrannosauroid, Proceratosaurus, a small, but effective-looking, carnivore that roamed the UK 100 million years before T. rex evolved"

ELLhshXXkAUAEKr.thumb.jpeg.4ecee39652aee16384e854e8ee6009c0.jpegELLhshTXUAAXwEr.thumb.jpeg.63a567b0263f0563fddfa66f2ba2400b.jpeg

And whats the holiday season without a Stegosaurs in your front lawn, you can keep the snow, thanks Cary Woodruff

ELWlgMIU8AAri3b.thumb.jpeg.d242fadabaf456d0fb4b4aee11614ec7.jpeg

• I found this Informative 18

Thank you for posting these cool photos!  I have questions and comments,

A fantastic example of the neck ligament contracting after death.

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

The Royal Terrell Museum shared  a super specimen they collected and prepared of a Gorgosaurus that is the most complete juvenile tyrannosaur specimen discovered in Canada (and possibly even in North America).

ELsYS5JWkAAt0Wo.thumb.jpeg.3bc48e3c1bbf0f18050df4a2d812f90f.jpeg

Very cool to see how they support these delicate fossils and manage to keep it hidden from view!

The Museum of the Rockies gave the skull of Big Al, MOR 693, a much needed acetone bath, new coat of vinac & a new conservation cradle before going back on exhibit. Big Al is one of the most complete Allosaurus specimens in the world!

2_ELtIGKOXYAAuF-P.thumb.jpeg.1a698a621276c3fdd722b01c3ae5d226.jpeg

Where was this found and is it mounted in life position or as it was found? How much is replica (I can see a section of the tail near the base looks to be filler).

The most complete sauropod specimen known is CM 11338, a juvie Camarasaurus lentus.    Courtesy: Saurian Spence

Dg0uoX7UYAARaWd.thumb.jpeg.ea425845b0b8c6686ee1dde452e50f54.jpeg

In these pics, what are the pits in the bone of the jaw? Nerve or vein pathways or possible sensory pits or something?

Allosaurus snoot, very cool. Check out those pretty, jet black dagger teeth w serrations. From ROM toronto collections, Late Jurassic, Cleveland-Lloyd Quarry, Utah.  Big chompers

D8fGL4MWsAA9L9w.thumb.jpeg.09243ddd339d6294685a752a1afd125c.jpeg

More Gorgosaurus, Healed bite marks in fossilized tyrannosaur skulls suggest they regularly engaged in face-biting behaviour. This Gorgosaurus upper jaw is an extreme example, with five raised scars.  Look at the size of that back tooth .. thats a 10cm scale, who said Gorgo teeth were small.  Makes me rethink how large these teeth got +3" does not appear unrealistic 

@-Andy-

EHLDm-uWoAAtUjh.thumb.jpeg.17b0217969a288200139048d612a02ce.jpeg

Thanks!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

2 hours ago, Shamalama said:

Very cool to see how they support these delicate fossils and manage to keep it hidden from view!

that is always neat to see...

Where was this found and is it mounted in life position or as it was found? How much is replica (I can see a section of the tail near the base looks to be filler).

CM in the ID stands for Carnegie Museum   

. It is displayed as a relief mount almost exactly as it was discovered, with two exceptions. The left leg was swapped with a more complete one from another individual, and the tail was re-positioned to create a more aesthetically pleasing mount.  Believe it was found in Utah at Dinosaur National Monument 

check out link

http://ix.cs.uoregon.edu/~kent/paleontology/sauropods/Camarasaurus/CM11338/index.html

In these pics, what are the pits in the bone of the jaw? Nerve or vein pathways or possible sensory pits or something?

probably all of those

All about  Maxillas

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0088905

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks @Troodon I heard that it took a decade to prep that almost complete Gorgosaurus skeleton!! Amazing specimens!!.

Incredible fossils! Thanks for sharing. Shows just how little we collectors know about tyrannosaurs

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

16 hours ago, dinosaur man said:

Thanks @Troodon I heard that it took a decade to prep that almost complete Gorgosaurus skeleton!! Amazing specimens!!.

Think it was 6 months is closer to the truth at least that what fhe RTMP Facebook page says

Very cool prep video

https://fbwat.ch/1CC38xLv25g5lRK2

@jpc @RJB

54 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

Shows just how little we collectors know about tyrannosaurs

Very true why we should focus on published facts and not what is folklore or other collectors or dealers tell us is fact.

ngw

version "lowres",about 55 MB

Ngwevu intloko: a new early sauropodomorph dinosaur from the Lower Jurassic Elliot Formation of South Africa and comments on cranial ontogeny in Massospondylus carinatus Kimberley E.J. Chapelle, Paul M. Barrett, Jennifer Botha and Jonah N. Choiniere

Submitted 25 March 2019 Accepted 3 June 2019 Published 5 August 2019 Corresponding author Kimberley E.J. Chapelle, kimi.chapelle@gmail.com Academic editor Fabien Knoll Additional Information and Declarations can be found on page 55 DOI 10.7717/peerj.7240 Copyright 2019 Chapelle et al. Distributed under Creative Commons CC-BY 4.0

(structural geology(defomation/taphonomy/sexual dimorphism/(compsrative)osteology)

Age asessment: the specimen would have been 10 years old at the time of death

I found it funny and interesting how they had a mobile lamp to drag around with them while prepping.   That would be a rather large prep job for me but would be a ton of fun. Thanks Troodon.

RB

On 12/14/2019 at 6:56 AM, Troodon said:

The holotype of Styracosaurus albertensis (CMN 344) at the Museum of Nature. This centrosaurine ceratopsian dinosaur was collected by Sternberg in Alberta (in what's now Dinosaur Provincial Park), and named by Lambe in 1913

1576323707048_D-t1OKdX4AE_zoq.thumb.jpeg.2fcd0f237832aa769c169445d49433b1.jpeg

I know most people are drooling over the carnivore fossils, but this one caught my eye. I love ceratopsians! :drool::wub:

Thanks for sharing! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Here is one for the troops.  This is Nicole, the Torosaurus recently unveiled at the Tate Geological Museum where I work.  5df67fbd6b537_NicolefromOilCity.jpeg.c05ef4bf84e56d1ee69153dbb957cb28.jpeg

One of my volunteers spent the better part of three years prepping this thing.  We only found the skull, but it is one of only 7 or so good Torosaurus skulls known.  The photo is from this article.

https://oilcity.news/general/2019/10/24/tate-offers-taste-of-t-rex-treat-torosaurus-skull-revealed-photos2/

The mount was done by Triebold Paleontology.

• I found this Informative 5

20 minutes ago, jpc said:

Here is one for the troops.  This is Nicole, the Torosaurus recently unveiled at the Tate Geological Museum where I work.  

One of my volunteers spent the better part of three years prepping this thing.  We only found the skull, but it is one of only 7 or so good Torosaurus skulls known.  The photo is from this article.

https://oilcity.news/general/2019/10/24/tate-offers-taste-of-t-rex-treat-torosaurus-skull-revealed-photos2/

The mount was done by Triebold Paleontology.

Very cool a Torosaurus, not many around congrat.   Any teeth found at the dig site?  

23 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Very cool a Torosaurus, not many around congrat.   Any teeth found at the dig site?  

two maxillae full of teeth and many loose ones.  

4 minutes ago, jpc said:

two maxillae full of teeth and many loose ones.  

Nice, have you had much success collecting in Natrona County?  

Those are some seriously awesome and beautiful fossils !!!! Thank you posting all of this Frank

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

Nice, have you had much success collecting in Natrona County?  

a little bit... including this skull.