Fossiliferous limestone with fenestella bryzoan and crinoids?

Ramona

I haven't posted in a while, due to traveling and then starting a new job, but I find it hard to stay away from the rocks in our yard.  We recently moved into a house (Huntsville, AL), where I soon discovered that we had a wooded area with a creek bed full of fossils.  From what I have seen so far they are mostly common bryzoan, crinoid, etc fossils in what I have learned is fossiliferous limestone (mostly).  I ventured out today and photographed some rocks, as there are simply WAY more than I can bring into the house to study.  I am wondering about this rock... According to what I have learned here, it is likely limestone with fenestella bryzoan and crinoid fossils?  Oh, and the hitchhiker looks like some sort of insect. LOL It's well camouflaged, so you might have to zoom in to see it.  

If I am correct on this identification, the thanks goes to you guys!

Ramona

IMG_5588-6.jpg

I also see some shell bits in there as well. 

Good job! ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yep, I'm seeing crinoid stem pieces and bryozoan bits.  Good job! :default_clap2:

One question though:

10 minutes ago, Ramona said:

If you had been "incorrect on the identification, would the blame conversely also go to "us guys"?  :headscratch:

2 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Yep, I'm seeing crinoid stem pieces and bryozoan bits.  Good job! :default_clap2:

One question though:

If you had been "incorrect on the identification, would the blame conversely also go to "us guys"?  :headscratch:

Ha!  Absolutely NOT! I would blame it on my misunderstanding of the information previously shared with me. ;-)  

Thanks bunches!

Ramona

13 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I also see some shell bits in there as well. 

Good job! ;) 

Yay!!  Thanks for helping out!

Ramona

1 minute ago, connorp said:

Looks like a good place to hunt, especially since it's so close to home. Are the rocks native to the creek?

Oh, I was delighted to discover the plethora of fossils!  And, yes, this area is quite well known for limestone.  I have searched on the geological maps and I struggle to understand them, but from what I can tell my finds are typical for this area.  We just happened to move into a house that has a yard located at the bottom of two hillsides, with fairly dry creek beds in them.  Love it!

Looks like a piece of concrete to me......................................... Just had to poke a little fun at you! Nice find!!!!!

Mike

2 hours ago, Ramona said:

Don’t sell yourself short! You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink; as the saying goes. The TFF members can share their knowledge, but you are the one who has to put forth the effort to really understand and apply that knowledge. So I say GOOD JOB to you! Keep it up and you’ll be leading the horses to water in no time! ;) 

BTW... Like the others,  I think you are correct with your ID. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

23 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Looks like a piece of concrete to me......................................... Just had to poke a little fun at you! Nice find!!!!!

Mike

Ha!!  You are so funny!!  At least I am sure about this one, LOL!!  Thanks!

22 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Don’t sell yourself short! You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink; as the saying goes. The TFF members can share their knowledge, but you are the one who has to put forth the effort to really understand and apply that knowledge. So I say GOOD JOB to you! Keep it up and you’ll be leading the horses to water in no time! ;) 

BTW... Like the others,  I think you are correct with your ID. :) 

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Ramona