Jump to content
Ramona

Fossiliferous limestone with fenestella bryzoan and crinoids?

Recommended Posts

Ramona

I haven't posted in a while, due to traveling and then starting a new job, but I find it hard to stay away from the rocks in our yard.  We recently moved into a house (Huntsville, AL), where I soon discovered that we had a wooded area with a creek bed full of fossils.  From what I have seen so far they are mostly common bryzoan, crinoid, etc fossils in what I have learned is fossiliferous limestone (mostly).  I ventured out today and photographed some rocks, as there are simply WAY more than I can bring into the house to study.  I am wondering about this rock... According to what I have learned here, it is likely limestone with fenestella bryzoan and crinoid fossils?  Oh, and the hitchhiker looks like some sort of insect. LOL It's well camouflaged, so you might have to zoom in to see it.  

 

If I am correct on this identification, the thanks goes to you guys!

 

Ramona

IMG_5588-6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

I also see some shell bits in there as well. 

Good job! ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grandpa

Yep, I'm seeing crinoid stem pieces and bryozoan bits.  Good job! :default_clap2:

 

One question though:

10 minutes ago, Ramona said:

If I am correct on this identification, the thanks goes to you guys!

If you had been "incorrect on the identification, would the blame conversely also go to "us guys"?  :headscratch:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ramona
2 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Yep, I'm seeing crinoid stem pieces and bryozoan bits.  Good job! :default_clap2:

 

One question though:

If you had been "incorrect on the identification, would the blame conversely also go to "us guys"?  :headscratch:

Ha!  Absolutely NOT! I would blame it on my misunderstanding of the information previously shared with me. ;-)  

 

Thanks bunches!
 

Ramona

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ramona
13 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I also see some shell bits in there as well. 

Good job! ;) 

Yay!!  Thanks for helping out!

Ramona

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
connorp

Looks like a good place to hunt, especially since it's so close to home. Are the rocks native to the creek?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ramona
1 minute ago, connorp said:

Looks like a good place to hunt, especially since it's so close to home. Are the rocks native to the creek?

Oh, I was delighted to discover the plethora of fossils!  And, yes, this area is quite well known for limestone.  I have searched on the geological maps and I struggle to understand them, but from what I can tell my finds are typical for this area.  We just happened to move into a house that has a yard located at the bottom of two hillsides, with fairly dry creek beds in them.  Love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnbuckeye

Looks like a piece of concrete to me......................................... Just had to poke a little fun at you! Nice find!!!!!

 

 Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilNerd
2 hours ago, Ramona said:

If I am correct on this identification, the thanks goes to you guys!

Don’t sell yourself short! You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink; as the saying goes. The TFF members can share their knowledge, but you are the one who has to put forth the effort to really understand and apply that knowledge. So I say GOOD JOB to you! Keep it up and you’ll be leading the horses to water in no time! ;) 
 

BTW... Like the others,  I think you are correct with your ID. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ramona
23 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Looks like a piece of concrete to me......................................... Just had to poke a little fun at you! Nice find!!!!!

 

 Mike

Ha!!  You are so funny!!  At least I am sure about this one, LOL!!  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ramona
22 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Don’t sell yourself short! You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink; as the saying goes. The TFF members can share their knowledge, but you are the one who has to put forth the effort to really understand and apply that knowledge. So I say GOOD JOB to you! Keep it up and you’ll be leading the horses to water in no time! ;) 
 

BTW... Like the others,  I think you are correct with your ID. :) 

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Ramona

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×