Fossilized bone? Bone Expert Urgently needed!!

GallinaPinta

I found this bone in the san sebastian limestone, in Puerto Rico. I always find interesting fossils there, but this is the first bone I collect. There have been skeletons of extinct sirenia found in this exact same place, so maybe it could actually a fossilized bone from an extinct species. I have no clue when it comes to bones though, so an expert is highly apreciated. 

IMG-20191214-WA0004.jpeg

there are often modern to Pleistocene solution cavities in the top of earlier limestone beds that make effective pitfall traps or carnivore lairs. Your bone could be one of these fossils despite its modern appearance. Modern bones exposed at the surface deteriorate with the interior marrow and porous portion rotting away first. This doesn't mean that older bones of mammals for instance can't be preserved this way. Cave bones are often hollow.

• I found this Informative 3

9 hours ago, Plax said:

there are often modern to Pleistocene solution cavities in the top of earlier limestone beds that make effective pitfall traps or carnivore lairs. Your bone could be one of these fossils despite its modern appearance. Modern bones exposed at the surface deteriorate with the interior marrow and porous portion rotting away first. This doesn't mean that older bones of mammals for instance can't be preserved this way. Cave bones are often hollow.

So its fossilized? What could it be? 

21 hours ago, GallinaPinta said:

If its trash please tell me so i can give it to my dogs

That's an idea. 

If the dogs eat it, it's probably modern, if their teeth break, it's likely a fossil.;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

21 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

That's an idea. 

If the dogs eat it, it's probably modern, if their teeth break, it's likely a fossil.;)

I was going to say, if your dogs are attracted to it, it is likely not fossil.

That is, unless they have a habit of chewing rocks. :P

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

7 minutes ago, caldigger said:

What have my dogs got to do with it? ;)

I haven't had any dogs for forty years. 

I have a tortoise. 

Who does like to chew rocks. :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

21 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

:headscratch:

Yo'd never see a cat trying to eat a rock.

Nope. 

They eat grass and hair. 

Then vomit. :unsure:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

46 minutes ago, caldigger said:

My dogs love fossils! I bring them with me and they chew and bring me all types of rocks and stuff. One of my girls bought me a clam bivalve to play with. Anything that smells like the river, they will collect lol

Late Pleistocene bones may still be bone especially in cave deposits. Of course there are numerous bones in the arctic of Pleistocene megafauna even with flesh and hair. Mineralization doesn't make a fossil.

• I found this Informative 2