Hello from Victoria!

DawnOfADream

Hello everyone! I went for my first fossicking adventure at Beaumaris, Victoria late last week.

I was hoping you guys could please help me ID a shark tooth (Image 1) and some other items that I cannot identify (Images 2+3). The dark, cylindrical items in Images 2+3 are hollow inside, which you can see in Image 3.

All were found underwater in Beaumaris, Victoria just off the jetty.

IMG_2818.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

Welcome to the forum! No idea on the shark tooth, might help others if you know what formation it came from, or at least the age. As for the latter few things, from the pictures they almost look like some kind of iron ore, maybe even slag. Are they metallic or magnetic? Some up close pictures of the surface might help.

• I found this Informative 1

33 minutes ago, connorp said:

Welcome to the forum! No idea on the shark tooth, might help others if you know what formation it came from, or at least the age. As for the latter few things, from the pictures they almost look like some kind of iron ore, maybe even slag. Are they metallic or magnetic? Some up close pictures of the surface might help.

Good question! Unfortunately I'm away from home at the moment but I'll have to check for magnetism when I get back and report the results. Thanks!

I'll suggest the shark tooth is a Carcharodon hastalis (formerly Isurus hastalis).  The others are possibly pieces of burrows, so trace fossils rather than body fossils.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

I'll suggest the shark tooth is a Carcharodon hastalis (formerly Isurus hastalis).  The others are possibly pieces of burrows, so trace fossils rather than body fossils.

Don

Thanks so much Don!

The tooth is a nice find. 

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The tooth is a nice find. 

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

The tooth was laying laying on the sand just below the water, I couldn't believe my luck!

Thanks for the warm welcome Tidgy!

Edited by DawnOfADream

Hello! Nice to see another Beaumaris fossicker. The tooth is from a  Carcharodon hastalis and the other rocks appear to be ironstone burrows which are fairly common around the Beaumaris site. This PDF might help out with IDing future finds: https://www.bayside.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/beaumaris_fossil_book_museum_victoria.pdf