Is this Foraminifera?

Creek - Don

I found this 1/16 ~ 2/16 of an inch specimen from Trinity river, near downtown Dallas  where I also found species of Prionocyclus ammonite from Arcadia park formation (c. 89-91 mya). 

Foraminifera.JPG

Foraminifer2.JPG

Foraminifer3.JPG

Hard to say for sure. Not enough exposed.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Never mind. I found the answer via free online book called Geology of Dallas County. December 1941 

Adkins (1932, p. 433, 435) has prcposed the following tentative zonation of the Eagle Ford in the Dallas County area.

8. Alectryonia lugubris zone: shale with sand, shells, bones, fish teeth, and A. lugubris (Conrad) in Feet abundance; White Rock escarpment ........... 15

7. Prionotropis zone: shale and thin flaggy limestone; Prionotropis, Prionocyclus, Scaphites vermiculus Shumard; Arcadia Park .............. 60

G. Coilopoceras zone: shales; C. aff. eaglefordense; about ..................................... 75

5. Romaniceras-M etoicoceras whitei zone . . . . . . . . . 50

4. N eocardioceras zone: shales; Keenan's Crossing (/1.1. septem-seriatim, M etengonoceras dumbli), Horton's Mill, California Crossing; thickness uncertain, possjbly . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50

3. Eucalycoceras bentonianum-Borissiakoceras zone: shales; Borissiakoceras n. sp., .l\Ietoicoceras irwini (Cottonwood Creek) ; Borissiakoceras n. sp., Eucalycoceras n. sp. (Walnut Creek) ; Eucalycoceras bentonianunt (Cragin), M etengonoceras dumbli CRETACEOUS ROCKS (Cragin), Proplacenticeras syrtale var. cum1ninsi (Cragin), Bcwulites gracilis Shumard, "Ancylocents" annulcdum Shumard, Inoceramus (Hack41 berry Creek); about ........................ 90

2. Acanthoceras (Eucalycocems?) wintoni zone: carbonaceous shales; A m,monites inequi}Jlicatus Shumard; about ............................ 145

1. Acanthoceras tarnmtense zone: shale, sandstone; Tarrant station; about . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15

That the dark muds which now represent the Eagle Ford were originally deposited in marine waters is indicated by the remains of typical marine organisms, such as Foraminifera and ammonites, which occur at intervals from the bottom to the top of the formation. Scott (1940, p. 322) suggests that the muds were deposited in the infra-neritic zone; that is, in waters deeper than 120 feet but not more than 600 feet deep.

Source: Geology of Dallas County December 1941 

@Foram-Mike

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hi Coco, I do not think it is a foram. Michael

• I found this Informative 1

Foram-Mike, Owner of www.foraminifera.eu
So far we show 12000+ images of foraminifera online for free

Send us your images, samples and specimens to enlarge our coverage

FeuLogoblack.jpg

I am not sure how a zonation of the rocks in your area answers the question. If you are suggesting that because there are forams in some zones, then that is a foram, I don’t believe that is how it works. The item in question needs to fit the description of a foram. And as @Shamalama has said, from those pictures I think anyone would be hard pressed to say that is a foram. What is the size?  Is it only partially exposed?  Did you find something in the online book that looked like your item in question?  

• I found this Informative 1