fossilsonwheels

A before and after of the Theropod fossils. 

The three displays we were using. 

8259E299-4283-4312-9DE3-FBE8E0432FCE.jpeg

Condensed and reorganized. The Maniraptora display will get finished with avian fossils that are in transit. I included the Morrison theropod tooth labeled as Ornitholestes basically just as a link to the Jurassic. 

We are making progress here I think. 

5D204255-25DD-428F-950E-E7F43686192B.jpeg

8FB0136E-F230-48AC-AD26-9BB1BC8BBA8A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Wooohoooo.... Armored Dinos is done !!! Love the new scute. 

31E7AE08-6B75-4AF9-BC28-43FC1320D74F.jpeg

• 2 months later...

We haven’t updated this in awhile but we have picked up a new Dino fossils and changed up the displays just a bit. 

We have a pretty full and pretty diverse Maniraptora display. We added some avian fossils and another Troodontid tooth. Definitely a personal favorite and hopefully this will be a useful educational display. 

74E48913-FC6A-45E9-832E-4C63C127C548.jpeg

We wanted to expand the sauropod teeth in our collection. We had a Kem Kem Titanosaur tooth thanks to @Troodon and a partial Camarasaurus from the Morrison. 

I believe we did the absolute best we could in adding three. 

Rebbachisaurid Kem Kem 

Eusauropod indet from Madagascar 

Diplodocid ( possibly Apatosaurine) from the Morrison 

We got three teeth of really good condition that give us a bit of diversity to the sauropods we can talk about. This also helps us show how different giant sauropods shared habitats by eating different types of plants. 

D670BBA7-C207-4762-A424-BAA192024185.jpeg

The Ornithopod display. We are going to have a couple of Morrison Formation additions this month. We are getting a Camptosaurus toe and a Dryosaurus tibia. The Dryosaurus will be displayed separately. 

This display will get occasional attention in the future. I’d say it’s 90% done. At least we finally got a working display done. 

CC17EE12-DF95-4735-9BF4-AF6426FC9808.jpeg

We took out a large HC frill piece and added our Pachy tooth to create a Marginocephalia display. Made sense to expand this from just Ceratopsian. 

D97E9E31-C4B2-4243-88D8-E9FD7D152F85.jpeg

We added a few Theropod teeth to the second display. A few teeth from Niger, one from Portugal, and a beautiful Morrison tooth which we will have later this month. 

We expanded the diversity and added some good quality teeth. We failed to add any Tyrannosaur material but the Jurassic theropods were the primary target. We did pretty well. 

E4FA81FE-EAC2-4FD6-8837-DD1BA92642E7.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Nice displays hopfully its soon than later that you get to use them.

I really hope so. I am guessing early 2021 right now. Maybe sooner. 

• 8 months later...
On 5/22/2020 at 8:02 PM, fossilsonwheels said:

Condensed and reorganized. The Maniraptora display will get finished with avian fossils that are in transit. I included the Morrison theropod tooth labeled as Ornitholestes basically just as a link to the Jurassic. 

We are making progress here I think. 

5D204255-25DD-428F-950E-E7F43686192B.jpeg

8FB0136E-F230-48AC-AD26-9BB1BC8BBA8A.jpeg

I hate to be that guy , but Rugops was found in the erlhaz formation in Niger, Not Morocco’s Kem Kem Beds.

2 hours ago, TheDinosaurKing said:

I hate to be that guy , but Rugops was found in the erlhaz formation in Niger, Not Morocco’s Kem Kem Beds.

A left maxilla from the Kem Kem Beds was assigned to Rugops. The paper was published fairly recently, maybe last year. 

Comments from Ibrahim paper 2020 on the Geology of the KK

"A commercially collected maxilla with several crowns in place provided the first well preserved evidence of abelisaurid theropods in the Kem Kem Group 
(Mahler 2005). The maxilla and teeth closely resemble the Nigerien abelisaurid Rugops primus in size and form (Figs 112, 113C-E, 114, Sereno et al. 2004). It also closely resembles maxillae of other abelisaurids, in particular a maxilla of similar age from Argentina (Lamanna et al. 2002). The maxilla has a nearly identical pattern of external 
sculpting, grooves and foramina, the anterior margin of the maxilla has a nearly vertical orientation, the alveoli are subrectangular, and the teeth are relatively slender with a nearly straight distal carina. Because the diagnostic features of Rugops primus are located elsewhere on the skull, we cannot refer the maxilla to that genus or species. We support Mahler’s interpretation of this maxilla (UCRC PV10) as an indeterminate abelisaurid."

So most likely Rugops but need more discoveries to confirm 

7 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Comments from Ibrahim paper 2020 on the Geology of the KK

"A commercially collected maxilla with several crowns in place provided the first well preserved evidence of abelisaurid theropods in the Kem Kem Group 
(Mahler 2005). The maxilla and teeth closely resemble the Nigerien abelisaurid Rugops primus in size and form (Figs 112, 113C-E, 114, Sereno et al. 2004). It also closely resembles maxillae of other abelisaurids, in particular a maxilla of similar age from Argentina (Lamanna et al. 2002). The maxilla has a nearly identical pattern of external 
sculpting, grooves and foramina, the anterior margin of the maxilla has a nearly vertical orientation, the alveoli are subrectangular, and the teeth are relatively slender with a nearly straight distal carina. Because the diagnostic features of Rugops primus are located elsewhere on the skull, we cannot refer the maxilla to that genus or species. We support Mahler’s interpretation of this maxilla (UCRC PV10) as an indeterminate abelisaurid."

So most likely Rugops but need more discoveries to confirm 

Thank you for clarifying that Frank. I should have reread the paper before referring to it as a certainty. I do remember changing the label after that paper came out but most likely just to give the Abelisaurs more attention in the education programs. 

I actually dismantled that display as I didn’t like how it looked so it doesn’t even exist lol 

I did make that comment based on Robert S.H. Smyth et al. paper in the attached topic.  Superseded by the one above

18 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Also Rugops is from the Echkar formation.

Good point. I totally missed that. I’m a bit rusty with the Dino stuff lol 

I’m laughing to myself as I don’t even have some of those teeth anymore and it was my attempt to expand the large theropod collection that ended my Dino collecting.  I can see the two teeth that killed it. Got outside the comfort zone, used sources I wasn’t familiar with. Total crash and burn. Fun to revisit the crash site LOL