fossilsonwheels

We starting switching up our displays for the different styles of Dinosaur programs we do. The formation displays are great but we wanted to try this style for the Dino report programs. 

I like how these are shaping up and they help the flow of the presentations. We can switch fossils between the different displays and this gives us some flexibility. 

The first one completed is the Ceratopsians. We have two different decent sized Trike frill pieces and various teeth from Hell Creek. The Leptoceratops tooth is from Lance Creek and we have two JRF teeth. From the Aguja, we have a frill piece. Lastly a toe bone and a small frill piece from Horseshoe Canyon. 

We use a 7” Hell Creek vert and a 3” vert from Horseshoe as touch fossils. The kids like seeing the various pieces of different Ceratopsians from different locations. 

87469BF6-E964-4E91-BCB0-43F7F41FD7A2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

The armored dinosaurs are some of my favorites and the kids love them. I like what we have and I like how this looks. 

We have Ankylosaur and Nodosaur teeth from Hell Creek and Judith River. 

We have a small piece of Stegosaurus neck armor, a small scute piece from JRF, and a nice scute from Horseshoe Canyon. Sometime this week a piece of Aguja armor will arrive to round this out. 

We use a small vert as a touch fossil. I hope we can expand on this down the road but I am pretty happy with this. 

FC7A7EFD-C3EF-4500-93E0-B09193B0B7B2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

Very good indeed. 

I just got my first little piece of ankylosaur and can imagine the children's excitement having just experienced it myself. 

And the recent thrill of obtaining my first trike spitter. 

You never grow out of it.:D

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On to the Theropods. The large Theropod stuff needs a boost for sure but we will be doing working on it over the winter break. We lack large teeth and some diversity but we will improve. Ideally we can find a large JRF Tyrannosaur tooth, an Allosaurus tooth, and hopefully a Megalosaurid tooth. 

Our Spinosaur teeth are in a separate display but once we’ve added a few more items, we will move all of them to a large riker. 

A couple of notes on ID’s. The Gorgosaurus is Tyrannosaur indet from JRF. The Allosaurus is Theropod indet. The Albertosaurus is legal, like all of our Horseshoe Canyon fossils. The second T. rex is a Nano. 

DE211587-062F-4B34-9038-1F29E5419A18.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

The small theropod display is really coming along nicely. We recently acquired a small theropod tooth from the Morrison formation. We know it is not a juvenile from one of the large theropods and don’t really know what dinosaur it comes from so the Ornitholestes label is just a place holder. It should arrive within a week or so. 

We also picked up two claws that will arrive after Christmas sometime. A decent Anzu claw and an unidentified claw that is most likely Avian. 

The Bull Canyon teeth fill a need but we know they may not be theropod. They will stay as is until I track down a Coelophysis tooth that is legit. 

I really want to add more Troodontid material and another Jurassic tooth but I’m pretty happy with this. Eventually I would like to do a Maniraptorian display but that is a future project lol

We still have some work to do on an Ornithopod display and a Sauropd display but I think we can get those finished up in a month or so. 

4A0D2798-294D-4DAD-80F6-D70B8908D1AA.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

26 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Nice.  Those riker cases are great for displays and easy to transport 

I agree. Putting everything together really helps with the flow of the presentations too. No more digging for small rikers lol 

18 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very good indeed. 

I just got my first little piece of ankylosaur and can imagine the children's excitement having just experienced it myself. 

And the recent thrill of obtaining my first trike spitter. 

You never grow out of it.:D

I still marvel that we have ANY dinosaur fossils but the Anky stuff is special. The kids love them. Congrats on your Anky piece and Trike tooth !

4 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

DE211587-062F-4B34-9038-1F29E5419A18.jpeg

4 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

4A0D2798-294D-4DAD-80F6-D70B8908D1AA.jpeg

These are some nice looking displays!  The time and effort put in really shows.

Also, you have quite the variety of dromaeosauridae which is rather cool to see because some of those specimens (Atrociraptor, Albertavenator) are not seen oftentimes.

• I found this Informative 2

53 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

These are some nice looking displays!  The time and effort put in really shows.

Also, you have quite the variety of dromaeosauridae which is rather cool to see because some of those specimens (Atrociraptor, Albertavenator) are not seen oftentimes.

Thank you very much. We figured the kids would want to see raptor fossils and we got really lucky with those two in particular. Probably my favorite dinosaur fossils. 

I am not done either. Still searching for more maniraptor fossils :) 

23 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Thank you very much. We figured the kids would want to see raptor fossils and we got really lucky with those two in particular. Probably my favorite dinosaur fossils. 

I am not done either. Still searching for more maniraptor fossils :) 

I hope you are able to add more as that is a neat idea and nice set up.  I have had a similar idea myself and hopefully can slowly tackle it.

Not sure if you can ID this one properly, but could try to add a Bambiraptor tooth from the Two Medicine.  Deinonychus as well, but there is a steep price tag on those teeth as they are hard to come by.

I am doubtful I can add Deinonychus but something from Two Medicine would be a goal. I think a Dromaeosaur from the Aguja formation seems obtainable. I know Microraptorinae fossils are known if not described from Hell Creek so I’m studying the claws and toe bones associated with Hesperonychus. We might be able to find something along with those lines. 

The Troodontids we can improve on for sure. I know we’ll find a Pectinodon to compliment the Albertaventor tooth. 

I am sure you’ll be able to come up with something pretty cool. You have a fantastic collection!

51 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I am doubtful I can add Deinonychus but something from Two Medicine would be a goal. I think a Dromaeosaur from the Aguja formation seems obtainable. I know Microraptorinae fossils are known if not described from Hell Creek so I’m studying the claws and toe bones associated with Hesperonychus. We might be able to find something along with those lines. 

The Troodontids we can improve on for sure. I know we’ll find a Pectinodon to compliment the Albertaventor tooth. 

I am sure you’ll be able to come up with something pretty cool. You have a fantastic collection!

One thing I’ve learned is never say never :D you may be surprised how much your collection will grow in a few years. Even after one year, you’ve managed to knock off almost the entirety of the Hell Creek Formation.

A dromaeosaur from the Aguja Formation is definetly obtainable, can keep an eye out for you. Although fauna assemblage should be comparable to Judith River Formation so most likely Saurorniothelestes as well.

1 hour ago, Runner64 said:

One thing I’ve learned is never say never :D you may be surprised how much your collection will grow in a few years. Even after one year, you’ve managed to knock off almost the entirety of the Hell Creek Formation.

A dromaeosaur from the Aguja Formation is definetly obtainable, can keep an eye out for you. Although fauna assemblage should be comparable to Judith River Formation so most likely Saurorniothelestes as well.

That is absolutely true lol I’m surprised every time I stop to think about the fossils we have. The Hell Creek collection surprises me. We’ve done well but we had a lot of help too. 

Please do do keep an eye out. I would love to knock that one out. 

Amazing dinosaur fossils!!, love that Albertosaurus and Albertovenator teeth!!.

6 hours ago, dinosaur man said:

Amazing dinosaur fossils!!, love that Albertosaurus and Albertovenator teeth!!.

Thank you. They are pretty cool. We just got lucky and found some from a dealer who had fossils with a disposition. I like them because we can talk about a fauna most kids don’t know about. 

We finished up the Armored Dino display with the arrival of a small piece of Anky armor from the Aguja formation. We will get back to this display in the future and try to expand on it but for now we have to concentrate on finishing up the other displays. 

4A47EBF0-FF35-4D98-A9C4-2888AB33335A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Love the way these are organized and labeled!  I REALLY need to focus more on doing the same.  Thanks for sharing.

37 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Love the way these are organized and labeled!  I REALLY need to focus more on doing the same.  Thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much. The displays are coming along nicely

• 4 weeks later...

We are one fossil away from completing the small theropod displays. We will be adding a Dromaeosaur claw at the end of the month but the other two claws arrived and are in the display ! Carter and I are pretty proud of this. 

EF9CCCC0-09ED-444D-A6BC-61587E1D5743.jpeg

• 1 month later...

How have I missed this post this is an amazing display of fossils. Thanks so much for sharing. Such a variety of fossils! :dinothumb: Hopefully you can get back to the program once the whole Coronavirus situation dies down. What you are doing for the children and the elderly is absolutely incredible.

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

1 hour ago, Jaimin013 said:

How have I missed this post this is an amazing display of fossils. Thanks so much for sharing. Such a variety of fossils! :dinothumb: Hopefully you can get back to the program once the whole Coronavirus situation dies down. What you doing for children and the elderly is absolutely incredible.

Thank you very much !! We will definitely be back at it whenever does die down. Hopefully I’ll get back to collecting Dinosaurs at some point too. We’ve been working on sharks for awhile. We’re going to do avian dinosaurs next year too so that will be fun. 

1 minute ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Thank you very much !! We will definitely be back at it whenever does die down. Hopefully I’ll get back to collecting Dinosaurs at some point too. We’ve been working on sharks for awhile. We’re going to do avian dinosaurs next year too so that will be fun. 

That will be awesome can't wait to see when you do start collecting again! :)

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

• 2 months later...

It has been quite some time since we did a dinosaur post and i thought it was overdue. We took some time away from the dinosaurs after Operation Claw which got expensive lol Plus I really needed to work on sharks but I have started to get back to working on making our dinosaur collection just a little better and more efficient for the presentations. After we got our large Diplo bone, I made a list of specific things we needed to improve on. Ceratopsians are complete and need no further work right now. All of the other displays needed some work though. Claws were first on the list but we were able to get a trio. Another Troodontid tooth was next and we knocked that off the list last month. Avian fossils were next.

We had discussed doing just a bird fossil program but folded that idea into the dino program. I think this is the logical direction we should pursue with this program. The goal was to take the existing small theropod display and create a display featuring only fossils within Maniraptora and incorporating the other fossils in that display into a display with all of the other theropod material. I will have a picture of the display soon as I should have the new cases soon but we did add a few fossils. We have a couple of avian bones from the Paleocene of Morocco on the way and we already have a bone from STH. I also got a feather from the Eocene of Canada. I feel like we have wrapped up the Maniraptora display for now. I think it will look fantastic and help establish the link between birds and dinosaurs.

Since we got what we needed for that display, I felt we could start on the Armored Dino display. We added a couple more Stego gular armor pieces. We had one but three will look better. Stegosaurus fossil are not easy to find and they are pricey so these small fossils work well for us. We did go big on the final piece of the display that we needed. We got a beautiful Hell Creek scute. It is complete and is fairly big at 4.5"x 2.75". We lacked a good sized scute and an HC scute so I am pretty exicted. I think this will be a great display. We should also have the ornithopod display wrapped up next month when we get our Camptosaurus bone. We really only need that fossil so it is an easy one to complete.

After that we turn our attention to the large theropod teeth that we lack. That is scary as they are a big jump in price but it needs to be done. We will finally go after another T-rex tooth, a complete Allosaurus tooth, 3" Carch and a 2" JRF Tyrannosaur tooth. Nothing really rare or exotic but we will not be able to bargain shop our way through it either lol

I think over the next few months we can really cross the t and dot the i to our dinosaur collection. We need to because there are other projects that we want to do. A program featuring fossils from California and a program on invertebrates are both goals that we want to start working on. We need to finish the planned upgrades to the existing fossil programs before we go forward though so we do want to get this done.

Anyway stay tuned for some pictures of the displays as we put the final touches on them. In the meantime, here is the Anky scute and this will conclude the dino update lol

hcarmor2.jpg

Display cases arrived and work is progressing. I am really happy with this display. The big HC scute has a spot reserved and I think this will look fantastic. 

04635F60-F50E-4B0B-B5CE-DF35D046B514.jpeg