2 teeth...acheroraptor ? & tyrannosaur or dromaeosaur ?

Joebiwan3

Hey everyone! In this post im going to be sharing two teeth from my collection. The first one was sold to me as acheroraptor. Its from the Hell Creek formation in MT and its CH is 7 mm. @Troodon

20191215_235204.png

19-12-15 22:59:29.png

19-12-15 22:56:55.png

This next tooth was sold to me as a tyrannosaur or dromaeosaur tooth from the Two Medicine Formation, its still in the matrix , its CH is 20 mm, 11 serrations per 4 mm on the posterior of the tooth, 10 per 4 mm on the anterior....

20191215_231442.thumb.jpg.6aadac4d9efee410606f73cf48a10c33.jpg

I would call that first tooth Acheroraptor.   The second looks like a juvie indeterminate Tyrannosaurid either Gorgo or Daspleto.  Do you have a locality where that second tooth came from other than Montana.

• I found this Informative 1

17 hours ago, Joebiwan3 said:

@Troodon i got Pondera County , MT. Thats all seller can get for me . Is fossilforum having problems today? Havnt been able to get on much today.

That's good locality

Cool, im getting alot of these tyrannosaur indet. Teeth once we look at them.....def wanna get the dakotaraptor and dromaeosaurus teeth. Gonna keep looking. I have a couple more  possible JR dromie teeth that i will post tonight and tomorrow. 

Sellers need to their homework before they list a tooth.  Size or what their source is telling them just does not work.   It's not easy, since small Nano teeth look a lot like DR and Dromaeosaurus teeth look like small tyrannosaurid teeth.   Both teeth are pretty hard to find.

@Troodon i agree but i have to say in my limited experience buying that most of the online sellers i have worked with have tried to find me what im looking for and have sent multiple emails back amd forth with me . Also even when a tooth hasnt checked out such as the dakotaraptor tooth i posted ive still been happy with the quality of the specimen....but now since a few dromaeosaur teeth i purchased ended up being tyrannosaur after we looked more closely at them i need to buckle down and really check to see what im getting before i purchase....

16 minutes ago, Joebiwan3 said:

@Troodon i agree but i have to say in my limited experience buying that most of the online sellers i have worked with have tried to find me what im looking for and have sent multiple emails back amd forth with me . Also even when a tooth hasnt checked out such as the dakotaraptor tooth i posted ive still been happy with the quality of the specimen....but now since a few dromaeosaur teeth i purchased ended up being tyrannosaur after we looked more closely at them i need to buckle down and really check to see what im getting before i purchase....

It’s been my experience that educating yourself and using the forum are really important. Read up on the Dromaeosaur material that is published and then be patient. You already use the forum which is also very important. It took me quite awhile to find a Dromaeosaurus tooth but I studied a lot and eventually found one. 

Great teeth btw. We don’t have any Two Medicine material so congrats on that Tyrannosaur tooth !

@fossilsonwheels thanks ! Yes im happy with everything ive collected thus far and the TM tyrannosaur tooth is nice for sure. I guess a plus of having a dromaeosaur tooth end up being a tyrannosaur is ive gotten them for much cheaper than i probably would have paid if it were labeled as a tyrannosaur. I see tyrannosaur teeth  are much more expensive than dromaeosaur and i think from what everyones been telling me JR and TM dromie teeth are harder to find . I guess people will just pay more for something labeled tyrannosaur.....im learning alot on this forum on what to look for in these teeth for sure.