Pectoral Fin, Geology or Something Else?

turtlefoot

Here is another very recent discovery in the dry creek bed.  It appears to be some sort of fish fin to my very amateur eyes.  Can someone please confirm this or tell me what it is if I am wrong?  Although it is not clear in the images, the markings go all the way to almost the 12:00 position.  It is not a stain and does not wash off.  There is a crystal vein right above it that runs completely through the rock.  Thank you for your time.  This was found outside of Willow Springs, Howell County, Missouri, USA

Fin001.jpg

Fin002.jpg

Edited by turtlefoot
Missed putting in location of where it was found

I'm thinking more mineral staining than fossil. Possibly in a weakened area due to fracturing. Nice looking chunk of rock at any rate. :thumbsu:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

18 minutes ago, daves64 said:

I'm thinking more mineral staining than fossil. Possibly in a weakened area due to fracturing. Nice looking chunk of rock at any rate. :thumbsu:

Thanks for the info.  I saw the quartz on the other side and brought it home.  When washing it off and looking at it, I saw the markings on the side shown here.  I can easily see mineral staining as there is so much iron ore of many different types in the area (along with other minerals).  Always like it when I find marcasite.