Unidentified Peace River Tooth

BoneAndTooth

This is my first post on this forum, although I have relied on it for some time as a great resource for learning how to ID fossils. I would really appreciate some help identifying a small molar (or premolar) we found while sifting gravel in the Peace River near Wauchula, Florida, US. Based on its shape, I'm gussing that it's from a terrestrial mammal but I really don't know for sure. From what I've read, the Peace River terrestrial fossils are generally Pleistocene, while marine fossils are typically Miocene. For those unfamiliar with US coins, the tooth is about 13mm tall and about 7mm wide. It has a three-prong root, and a pretty aggressive crown.

1206192144c~2.jpg

1206192144a~2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Any fossil found in Florida without a specific identification should be submitted to The University of Florida Fossil Identification service.. It is EASY!!!

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/amateur-collector/fossil-id/

I used this service to identify the following Miocene tooth.

e2018Jan1stPlatygonus_bicalaratus.thumb.jpg.4569013f43247fa6a85cf60f300defc8.jpg

Nice find !!! Any tooth with complete roots is exceptional!!!

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Any fossil found in Florida without a specific identification should be submitted to The University of Florida Fossil Identification service.. It is EASY!!!

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/amateur-collector/fossil-id/

I used this service to identify the following Miocene tooth.

e2018Jan1stPlatygonus_bicalaratus.thumb.jpg.4569013f43247fa6a85cf60f300defc8.jpg

Nice find !!! Any tooth with complete roots is exceptional!!!

Submitted! Thank you for the suggestion.

5 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Looks like a mustelid upper molar.  I'm not sure which one -- skunk, weasel, maybe otter.

Could be. I was also thinking maybe raccoon.