Unidentified fossilized claw from Puerto Rico?

GallinaPinta

I found this at a river at puerto rico, is it a fossilized crab claw? What type of crab is it? What era is it from? 

IMG-20191216-WA0027.jpeg

IMG-20191216-WA0021-1.jpg

IMG-20191216-WA0024-1.jpg

It does look crabby :crab:

For the age, what other fossils are you finding in the same general area? Do you know the formation you are collecting in?

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Rustdee said:

It does look crabby :crab:

For the age, what other fossils are you finding in the same general area? Do you know the formation you are collecting in?

The formation is the san sebastian limestone, i find many crassostreas, echinolampas, agassia, echinometras and thylechinus, scutellas, clam bivales, steinkerns, etc. 

difficult to tell the crab from the claw in most cases. Nice crab claw bit. If you google "tertiary or cenozoic Caribbean crabs" you'll probably get some technical papers.

• I found this Informative 1

Did you try using Google Scholar for your search instead of the normal Google search engine? Using the Scholar version tends to bring up more scientifically oriented sources. You could also try searching for something involving the formation you are in. So a search along the lines of “San  Sebastian Limestone Fossils” or the like.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)