I need an assist with this fossil identification

Gary Kindel

I found this fossil in 2010 along the Huron river, near Monroeville, Ohio.  The fossil is in shale, which I believe is Ohio Shale formation Devonian age.

No idea what it is.

IMG_1408.JPG

Edited by Gary Kindel
removed unnecessary tag

33 minutes ago, Gary Kindel said:

I was hoping the diagonal striations might lead to a more specific identification. 

Unfortunately not, since this is very common for most of the carbonized plant material... 

• I found this Informative 3

A map exists in "Glacial Geology of Huron County, Ohio" indicating the majority of bedrock in your county is Mississippian, which ups the odds of plant fossils. Check out Berea Shale. From Wikipedia: Berea Sandstone is generally unfossiliferous. However some fossils have been found, including fish of the genera Ctenacanthus and Gonatodus, plants of the genus Annularia, and some brachiopods.

Mike

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, Pemphix said:

Unfortunately not, since this is very common for most of the carbonized plant material... 

I can see the parallel lines but I wonder how such a square element as carbon comes up with the diagonals ?

The parallel lines are the result of the coalification process. On some level they can probably be viewed as equivalent to 'cleats' commonly encountered in coalbed formations. Their orientation would then be related to the (mechanical) stress state during coalification. See for example: https://www.uky.edu/KGS/coal/coal-mining-geology-fracture-cleat-in-coal.php

• I found this Informative 9

Searching for green in the dark grey.

23 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I can see the parallel lines but I wonder how such a square element as carbon comes up with the diagonals ?

See answer from paleoflor and doushantuo...

32 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

See answer from paleoflor and doushantuo...

23 hours ago, paleoflor said:

Their orientation would then be related to the (mechanical) stress state during coalification.

:thumbsu:

I feel like I have strong reason to believe the specimen is late Devonian or early Mississippian.  The river cut is a prominent Ohio shale exposure.  I appreciate the assist in identification.  'Coal cleats' has helped focus my search.  For now, I'll leave as unspecified plant fossil Late Devonian / Early Mississippian.  I feel the shape is important and may yet lead to a more specific Id.  I feel like I've seen this type of fossil before in museum just can;t remember where.

Happy hunting....

Gary