Brondonh

It just doesn't have the look of my pieces of agatized coral from Florida. But I will let Floridians be the experts. As for the location being Venice, was this rip rap rock brought into the area, or construction site, or was this natural shoreline material? I am somewhat familiar with the Venice surroundings. Nice finds anyway!

Mike

thanks for the reply, they came from a new lake that was dug. I also found a lot of shark teeth, megalodons and other goodies, but these tings kind of got me curious. If anything they're really cool looking. I know a guy who owns a pet shop in the area and he took a couple for a fish tank. I would like to know what they are though, they definitely have quartz growing on them none of them are hallow though.

I just left there and grabbed a bunch more. If anything I can build something cool with them. I did run into this little while picking through.

20191218_181843.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Brondonh said:

owns a pet shop in the area and he took a couple for a fish tank

@Brondonh, Putting natural rock into fish aquariums can be dangerous to the fish. Dangerous metals, minerals, and altered acidity can all lead to health problems. It is hard enough to keep fish healthy without adding other potential stresses. Otherwise, great finds!!! The Minnesota Gophers have landed a bowl game in Tampa, so I will be visiting the area around Jan 1. and staying with my son in Bradenton. Hopefully I can have a little free time to look for fossils in the area while he is at work.

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you for the advice he'son the shop for a long time and that's a pretty interesting place but I'm sure he knows about all about that. I put a couple in my fish tank which I've only got a turtle really but they look real cool in a fish tank. I do a lot of artwork and sculpting so these things will be really cool to sculpt some skulls or what not. Thanks again and good luck if you happen to go looking for fossils in Venice.

this photo attached is the reason why I question it being agatized Coral it's the closest thing I can find in which it's very similar if not the same. the picture comes from the Florida environmental protection web page

Screenshot_2019-12-19-11-28-20.png