A Rock with a lot going on in it. Multiple ID's Please

turtlefoot

Hi All

I found this rock earlier today and was surprised with what I saw.  There is what might possibly be three different fossils in it.  If anyone can please tell me if these are fossils, geology or a mix, I would appreciate it.  This rock was found near Willow Springs, MO.

A - Measures 8mm on the longest side.

B - Measures from side to side approximately 19mm.  It doesn't show up well in the image, but there are five total sections in an almost fan shape.  Is this crinoid stem impressions or something different?

C - This one is one that I am guessing might not be a fossil.  These little "lines" remind me of tiny bones in their appearance.  On average, they measure 3mm long and about 0.33mm in diameter.

If anyone can shed any light on any of these areas of interest in this rock, I would greatly appreciate it.

Doug

Rock A 001.jpg

Rock B 001.jpg

Rock C 001.jpg

Rock C 002.jpg

I agree that A is a horn (or rugose) coral. I have no clue what I'm looking at in B, try to upload some more pictures. As for C, it could be a variety of things; maybe fossils, maybe not. Do they scrape off easy? They almost look fragments of modern lichens.

25 minutes ago, connorp said:

I agree that A is a horn (or rugose) coral. I have no clue what I'm looking at in B, try to upload some more pictures. As for C, it could be a variety of things; maybe fossils, maybe not. Do they scrape off easy? They almost look fragments of modern lichens.

I am charging my camera batteries right now and will upload better images of B tomorrow.  As for C, they do not scrape off at all.  I originally thought they were debris just stuck on the rock.  This rock has soaked for nearly an hour and was then cleaned with a fingernail brush and Dawn dish soap.  Thank you for your time.

That is my impression of C - bits of fenestellid bryozoan, but it might help to see more pics, and wait for other opinions.

I think you are correct with your IDs so far. :dinothumb: Here is what I see...

A- A rugose (horn) coral. View is looking straight down at a transverse cross section; showing the septa.  

B- Unsure on this one. Could be a few things. More pictures are needed, but I’m leaning towards another piece of coral.

C- Fenestrate bryozoa fragments. Looks like beginnings of characteristic net/lace/lattice structure. An example would be the fronds of an “Archimedes screw”. Here is a decent article regarding them.
https://www.uky.edu/KGS/fossils/fossil-month-09-2018-Archimedes.php

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thank you everyone so much for the replies.  They are so appreciated.  I am attaching more images of B and C.  If these images need improved on, PLEASE let me know and I will set things up where I can get what is needed.  Thank you once again.

Rock B 002.jpg

13 minutes ago, turtlefoot said:

Here are a couple more images of what might be fenestrate bryozoa fragments.

Bryozoa 002R.jpg

Bryozoa 003R.jpg

I definitely think fenestrate bryozoan given these pictures.