Carcharodontosaurid foot claw?

msantix

Hi,

I saw this large 8.9cm (3.5 inch) Kem Kem claw for sale. It is labelled as a Carcharodontosaurus (or Carcharodontosaurid) foot claw. I wanted to ask if the identification looks likely - i don't believe it is Spinosaurid and not sure of other large theropods the claw could be from.

I should also ask if it looks genuine - the seller states that there are a few breaks but no restoration done on it. Thank you.

m1208-t.jpg

Rare Carcharodontosaurus pes claw for sale | Buried Treasure Fossils

m1208-bot.jpg

m1208-f2.jpg

m1208-e_1.jpg

Its difficult to make a call on that claw but recall there are multiple Spinosaurids in the KK, they might look a bit different and Novas et al. paper provides some info on them..  The paper clearly shows what a Spinosaurid claw looks like, E & F, but also shows a Spinosaurid  B claw, C & D that looks more like the one you are showing.   This is the only publication that I'm aware of that shows detail on Spino foot claws.  My gut tells me its could be a digit 1 claw which is a bit different than the other 3.

A description of the claws from the two described Carcharodontosaurid have not been published but you can compare against similar species in South America which Novas does in figure G & H.  I also will share what I believe is one from the KK from my collection.  They basically are more round like Allosauroids than the triangular shape of Spinosaurids.

Novas et al. (2005) Paper on pedal unguals from morocco.

Screenshot_20191219-042904_Drive.thumb.jpg.630b75b7d351140f7ead50e94d3dd3ba.jpg

SaurclawrtD85S3.thumb.jpg.78b541e077b2fb4aeabd15455f12355c.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

LINK

The smallest biggest theropod dinosaur: a tiny pedal ungual of a juvenile Spinosaurus from the Cretaceous of Morocco
Simone Maganuco,* and Cristiano Dal Sasso

avaty10u800 (2).jpg

vascular furrow,extensor tubercle,spongy bone

edit: 8,3 MB

Thanks Troodon, i was leaning towards the idea that this was not Spinosaurid since it didn't seem as pointed/triangular as the usual Spinosaur claws i have seen and i can't seem to see any depression circles on the underside of the claw in question which is characteristic of Spinosaur claws. However the pics of your claw plus the related Tyrannotitan claw look very different to this claw so i guess Spinosaurid is the most likely candidate.