Mineral Wells Fossil Park 12/18/2019

CrankyMa

I'm pretty sure the snake was a Nonbanded Coppermoccarattler. (Sorry for the terrible anti-snake joke, Nimravis!)

Poor guy- he was just out trying to catch some sun on a cool day so my daughter shooed him off the road. We didn't want it to get run over by a car.

It was a really fun day at the Mineral Wells Fossil Park- clear and cool (50 F, 10 C) in the middle of December, and we had the whole place to ourselves. What a neat thing this town has done to make such a park for people to explore! The park has a large, level parking area, a covered area with two picnic tables, two port-a-potties on site, plus a large sign explaining the geology of the site that includes pictures of the fossils that can be found there. The entry to the pit is an easy slope with a handrail.

The place is literally covered with fossils of the types we found (pictured above) and we found a good sample of everything except for a Trilobite and a shark tooth. This is a great place to get someone interested in fossils and fossil collecting because it has great informational signage, easy access, and guaranteed success.

19 hours ago, jpc said:

Fun fossils.  what kind of snake is that?  

It looks like one of the ratsnakes to me. Either a Great Plains or Texas ratsnake. 

snake.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

On 12/19/2019 at 2:15 PM, erose said:

Nice fossils. 

The snake is probably a Central Texas Whip Snake or a Black Racer.

My vote for black racer.

On 12/20/2019 at 7:01 AM, Al Dente said:

It looks like one of the ratsnakes to me. Either a Great Plains or Texas ratsnake. 

snake.JPG

Not so black in this picture; I'll go with coach whip.

On 12/20/2019 at 7:01 AM, Al Dente said:

snake.JPG

Now that I can properly zoom the image up I would say rat snake as well. 

Sounds like a pleasant day out. Congrats on the finds! Is there a limit to what you can collect there? :headscratch:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

No, FossilNerd, no limit, except collection is intended for personal use only and is not to be used for sales.

There are a lot of fossils of the type we pictured and they aren't even difficult to collect. The fossils wash out of the walls of the pit with weather and erosion and roll down to the bottom, where they collect on the surfaces of the lower slope and the bottom of the pit. It's actually easier and better to poke around the bottom of the walls and on the floor of the pit than it is to dig into the walls. The fossils get washed of mud and dirt as they make their way down the slope, which makes them easy to spot.