Early Cretoxyrhina (vraconensis) dentition question

britishcanuk

I’m wondering if anyone has put together a dentition of an early Cretoxyrhina with narrow lower teeth and cusped laterals and posteriors. If you have photos of something like this I would very much appreciate seeing what one looks like. Thanks in advance!

R~

On 12/19/2019 at 4:49 PM, britishcanuk said:

I’m wondering if anyone has put together a dentition of an early Cretoxyrhina with narrow lower teeth and cusped laterals and posteriors. If you have photos of something like this I would very much appreciate seeing what one looks like. Thanks in advance!

R~

There are unlikely to be many amateurs that have more than a few specimens of this species.  Someone like David Ward or Mikael Siverson might have access to collections that could put together a partial one and then deduce the teeth in between.  In the absence of that I would use C. mantelli dentition reconstructions that have been published and compare what you have with those.  The dentitions shouldn't be too different overall though the range of variation per jaw position might be. 

• I found this Informative 2

On 2019-12-23 at 4:05 PM, siteseer said:

There are unlikely to be many amateurs that have more than a few specimens of this species.  Someone like David Ward or Mikael Siverson might have access to collections that could put together a partial one and then deduce the teeth in between.  In the absence of that I would use C. mantelli dentition reconstructions that have been published and compare what you have with those.  The dentitions shouldn't be too different overall though the range of variation per jaw position might be. 

Thanks for the reply. I was lucky enough to have acquired a beautiful set of associated teeth from an early Cretoxyrhina and would like to put them in order of how they were in life. I’ve looked pretty closely at some of the mantelli dentitions found online and they have been helpful. I wonder if David Ward and Mikael Siverson are members here? I think the best thing might be to start a new topic with my attempt at arranging the teeth and hopefully more knowledgable folks can comment any thoughts or opinions. Thanks again, I appreciate your thoughts very much.

Merry Christmas!

13 hours ago, britishcanuk said:

Thanks for the reply. I was lucky enough to have acquired a beautiful set of associated teeth from an early Cretoxyrhina and would like to put them in order of how they were in life. I’ve looked pretty closely at some of the mantelli dentitions found online and they have been helpful. I wonder if David Ward and Mikael Siverson are members here? I think the best thing might be to start a new topic with my attempt at arranging the teeth and hopefully more knowledgable folks can comment any thoughts or opinions. Thanks again, I appreciate your thoughts very much.

Merry Christmas!

Oh yeah, you should definitely put something together and show us what you have.  Anomotodon just posted something interesting and useful.

Merry Christmas to you and everybody.

Jess