Hi I just bought these two dinosaur fossils from Alberta Canada. A Ceratopsian vert and a Hadrosaur metatarsal. The colouring and look/preservation of the Hadrosaur metatarsal makes me think they didn’t come from the Horseshoe canyon formation like it says but instead the Dinosaur Park formation. since it doesn’t give much information other then the Horseshoe canyon formation it’s possible, Thanks for future help.

Ceratopsian vert

CA00A520-6C06-45B1-8C7D-F466952B41C1.jpeg

FA6D5C8B-7823-4B70-A50C-AF503AE259AB.jpeg

CA48B44E-2CB0-47E9-B8EB-9EB6FF898EFC.jpeg

@Runner64 it says Horseshoe canyon formation Alberta Canada, no locality or area other then that. 

Thats not a locality you can do anything with.    You should get back to the seller and see if he has anything telling you where it was found.

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, dinosaur man said:

@Runner64 it says Horseshoe canyon formation Alberta Canada, no locality or area other then that. 

I agree with @Troodon Alberta has a dozen or so dinosaur-bearing formations.  Dinosaur Park Formation, Oldman Formation, Horseshoe Canyon Formation, Scollard Formation just to name some of the more commonly seen ones.  If you can pinpoint down to a location, then may be able to say what formation it is from.

They are both Horseshoe Canyon. I know where you got them and the location would be Drumheller. Nice pick ups in my opinion. It’s a start for you !! 

30 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

They are both Horseshoe Canyon. I know where you got them and the location would be Drumheller. Nice pick ups in my opinion. It’s a start for you !! 

You cannot make the assumption, if thats the case, that when someone says HCF its Drumheller.  HFC might not be correct if it was found elsewhere.  Locality must come first and be confirmed and then the formation will follow.

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

You cannot make the assumption, if thats the case, that when someone says HCF its Drumheller.  HFC might not be correct if it was found elsewhere.  Locality must come first and be confirmed and then the formation will follow.

I 100% agree with you @Troodon and I wouldn’t make assumptions under normal circumstances but these are from the same collection as mine and all of those are HSC according to the source. I had asked about the location of mine so I thought my information would be helpful in this case. 

• I found this Informative 3