Joebiwan3

This next tooth i just recently purchased was sold to me as a probable dakotaraptor tooth. Its from the hell creek formation in Powder River Co. MT.  Its CH is 18 1/2 mm....posterior serrations are 20 per 5 mm. Anterior serrations are 25 per 5 mm. @Troodon , @Andy, @fossilsonwheels

20191224_023315.png

19-12-24 02:10:28.png

19-12-24 02:09:13.png

20191224_023336.png

20191224_023422.png

Your first three pictures are seriously out of focus.  Oddly enough, the close up shots are great, which are usually the hardest to get focused. Congrates on that.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

The only photos that matters here are the ones that show the pinch in the base and twist of mesial carina.  This tooth is an easy ID since those are characteristics of Nanotyrannus and not DR.  Sorry about that.  Nice Nano.

That's 2 for 2 for you with misidentified Dakotaraptor ID's and typical of what I see sold.  Sellers just dont know how properly identify these teeth.  Nanotyrannus & Dakotaraptor teeth on the surface can look similar and need to be carefully analyzed before buying.  Collectors need to be extremely carefully and request the following: straight in photos of all 4 sides  and base, serration count both edges (midline 5 mm wide) and dimensions of CH and Base W & L.  A closeup of the denticles is a must of both edges. Not easy but its the only way to TRY to identify one but there are no guarantees, it can be difficult.   If they are not willing to provide you this information move on and find someone who will.  Dakotaraptor teeth do not appear to be common whereas Nanotyrannus teeth are very common and please post interest before you purchase 

• I found this Informative 3