Fossil riverbed finds ?

Joe_17

My fiance' and I went fossil hunting by the river and collected some things . Does this look like a piece of a horse tooth? Can't figure out what the second picture could be though.

received_455847245031690.jpeg

received_757653618053528.jpeg

Can we get a shot looking straight down on the end where your index finger is in the first item.

Second one reminds me of a ray tooth plate, at least a mold of one perhaps.

It would also help to know where this riverbed is located to determine the deposit age.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

The second looks like an impression of a rugose coral or possibly a Calimites impression (it couldnt be a ray plate if its from Illinois.) The first one looks geologic to me.

Indeed! Location is critical when trying to identify a fossil from just a photo. It helps to provide as much information as possible when seeking an ID. You don't have to include GPS coordinates if it comes from your secret honey hole but an idea of a region (state, and possibly county or nearby town) helps to narrow down the geological age and then properly frames our opinions as to what it could (and could not) be. We could assume it comes from somewhere in Illinois given your home location but folks travel and collect rocks on vacation and it is too big an assumption on our part to try to guess where something is collected. We can be pretty good at identifications on this forum but we tend to fall short of full-on magician status. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: The first black piece looks like it would not be out of place in the Peace River in Florida. It matches our phosphatically blackened finds but does not match a horse tooth--sorry but it looks to be a geological 'faker'. The second one more resembles a cross section of a colonial coral than an articulated ray plate. Virtually all ray plates I've seen are free of the matrix and are smoother and less irregular. I believe this has a higher probability of being a chunk of fossilized coral. Knowing locality info would help a lot.

• I found this Informative 2

Doesn't. The OP resides there so that is the only sense of a location inferred at the moment. Looking forward to more information to gain a fuller insight into these pieces.

Cheers.

-Ken