Tyrannosaur bone structure

fossil_sea_urchin

Hi, does anyone know if theropod bones are completely hollow. I saw this for sale and was wondering whether it was theropod or just float because it wasn't fully hollow but had gaps and holes, the website wouldn't allow me to copy the image though.

Try to do a screen shot.  Please do not post any links.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

45 minutes ago, connorp said:

Looks like some kind of volcanic rock.

The seller says it's from South Dakota and from the Hell Creek formation. You could be right, but we need a dino-expert to tell the difference between bone and volcanic rock as they do resemble each other.

I'd like to see multiple angles for this one, but I'll say it does looks like the bone float common in the hell creek. Theropod bones can be hollow, but not all of their bones are. I found a few pieces of highly porous bone this summer that are most likely theropod. 

Here's a partial ornithomimid caudal vert where the inner structure is exposed.

Again, more photos are needed for your piece.

IMG_E4781.thumb.JPG.4bb3931b7013484225ef761299d895f4.JPG IMG_E4782.thumb.JPG.7dc9a669ea0994e0d72c43404d444f5d.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, fossil_sea_urchin said:

You could be right, but we need a dino-expert to tell the difference between bone and volcanic rock as they do resemble each other.

So us non “dino-experts” should refrain from commenting on your questions? Maybe I’m wrong on this ID, but regardless such statements seem presumptuous.

Theropod bones are typically hollow but you can find honeycomb structures in vertebrae. Here is T Rex and you can see the Ornithomimid vert shown above.  Sorry but I'm not an expert those are paleontologist. 

large-tyrannosaurus-rex-vertebrae_1_7ef7a9a1257d18e4f29be8945dafcc1d.jpg.a65fb3684b9de1d3e6bc06a319a39700.jpgScreenshot_20191225-125655_Chrome.thumb.jpg.455c5c072e012343cb409707c21a41e1.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, fossil_sea_urchin said:

difference between bone and volcanic rock as they do resemble each other.

True. But there is a certain uniformity or organic appearance to bone wich I’m not seeing in this piece. The randomness of the forms are still saying volcanic to me but I could also be wrong. There is always a level of uncertainty when trying to identify from a single picture.

• I found this Informative 1

Like its been said theropod bones are typically hollow while their vertebrae can be honeycomb.  I added a couple of photos of theropod verts from the Hell Creek to show their structure.    The specimen you are showing is "possible" but it would be nice to see more views .  Given the size it would have to come from a large vertebra.   Im not a paleontologist so not an expert...

20191225_163235.thumb.jpg.60351157764eb7b50291f1e16cf9098d.jpg20191225_163214.thumb.jpg.7881baf8b86cdd17cb90819085da4d6b.jpg

Not going to make a call of a fragment without diagnostic features but the honeycomb structure is found on theropod vertebrae and yours is a definite candidate.  If its one its size would say Tyrannosaurid not much else would fit in the Hell Creek

• I found this Informative 2