Sometimes You Have To unwrap It

Bobby Rico

A few weeks ago Mrs R was asking me about TFF. General questions about members and their collections. I did not realise she was fishing for some  Christmas gift ideas. I showered her a few of our members collections and she really liked Ralph’s thread “Sometimes You Have To Whack It !!” So yesterday I was very surprised to unwrapped a nice little collection of Mazon Creek fossils . I don’t think there is any rare specimens and unfortunately there was no IDs included.  Mazon Creek material is quite rare to pick in the U.K. so she did brilliant and I was very spoiled. I will have to check Ralph’s thread for some IDs.  Thanks @Nimravis  for inspiring MrsR to purchasing me a wonderful  gift . And if anyone has not seen Ralph’s thread it is really interesting a worth spending time looking though it.

Cheers Bobby

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10

Looks like you have some wonderful examples. Nice detail on many of them. Congrats Bobby! Mrs. R did good! :thumbsu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

@Bobby Rico thanks for the nice words- I took a quick look at these on my way out the door to work and here is what I think- I am tagging @RCFossils Rob will be able to correct anything I have wrong.

1 Neuropteris 

2 Mazonomya mazonensis

3 Aviculopecten mazonensis

4 Annularia 

5 Pecopteris?

6 Annularia 

7 Neuropteris 

8 & 9 Lepirodendron Bark

10 Odontopteris?

11 Plant debris

12 Neuropteris

13 Myalinella meeki

14 Pecopteris 

sorry for no italics on the words, but I’m rushing out.

• I found this Informative 7

It is so hard for a novice to get a worthwhile fossil without guidance. Your wife did impressively well!

We should start a TFF service for members spouses similar to the secret Santa but geared towards helping them to select good fossils to buy. I mean, you all should start this service to help my wife find good fossils to buy:P

• I found this Informative 6

WOW!  Think your wife could text my little lady and let her know they are NOT just rocks to stink up the house and collect dust;)

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

@Bobby Rico thanks for the nice words- I took a quick look at these on my way out the door to work and here is what I think- I am tagging @RCFossils Rob will be able to correct anything I have wrong.

1 Neuropteris 

2 Mazonomya mazonensis

3 Aviculopecten mazonensis

4 Annularia 

5 Pecopteris?

6 Annularia 

7 Neuropteris 

8 & 9 Lepirodendron Bark

10 Odontopteris?

11 Plant debris

12 Neuropteris

13 Myalinella meeki

14 Pecopteris 

sorry for no italics on the words, but I’m rushing out.

Thanks Ralph much appreciated. :fistbump:

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Scylla said:

It is so hard for a novice to get a worthwhile fossil without guidance. Your wife did impressively well!

We should start a TFF service for members spouses similar to the secret Santa but geared towards helping them to select good fossils to buy. I mean, you all should start this service to help my wife find good fossils to buy:P

It is good idea to create a members spouse support service offering a personal shopping experience.  :D

Thank you 

1 hour ago, Scylla said:

Already talked with your wife. You should be getting some nice mineral stained shale for your Birthday. :default_rofl:

42 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

WOW!  Think your wife could text my little lady and let her know they are NOT just rocks to stink up the house and collect dust;)

Haha Thank you I did score well . :dinothumb:

3 hours ago, michele 1937 said:

Sto cercando

Mazonomya mazonensis

Aviculopecten mazonensis

Dove sono in vendita?

Michele

These are from Ralph's (Nimravis) personal collection which he collected in the field. You should be able to find the Mazonomya online from our favorite auction site, but the Aviculopecten  won't be as easy.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thanks I am very pleased with the little lot. It is a really interesting formation with a incredible  wide verity of flora and furan. 

These are indeed specimens of excellent quality, and most of the flora appear to have enough detail to ID down to species level. I can see at least 5 that can be, despite the photos being a tad out of focus. It'll give you something to do during the cold spells. That should help the gift "keep on giving".

P.S. -- Michele 1937 was asking where to buy those two species. I believe they are endemic to the Mazon Creek biota.

Mark.

16 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

These are indeed specimens of excellent quality, and most of the flora appear to have enough detail to ID down to species level. I can see at least 5 that can be, despite the photos being a tad out of focus. It'll give you something to do during the cold spells. That should help the gift "keep on giving".

Thanks Mark to be honest most things are out of focus over Christmas. I only have an iPhone but I will definitely retake some photos tomorrow in good light  and replace the blurry ones. 

Merry Christmas 

Bobby 

Great Christmas presents, very nice Mazon Creek material you got there!

Interested in all things paleontology, geology, zoology, evolution, natural history and science!
Professional exotic pet keeper, huge fantasy geek, explorer of the microfossil realm, member of the BVP (Belgian Association for Paleontology), Volunteer prepper at Oertijdmuseum Boxtel.  

View my collection topic here:

The Growing Collection of Ziggycardon
My animal collection at the "Members pet" topic

Ziggycardon's exploration of the microfossil realm

Trips to Eben Emael (Maastrichtian of Belgium)

My latest fossil hunt

Next project will be a dedicated prepping space.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

5d68d9f3c550a_153657011360380104(21).jpg.bda3d3b7ae7b8321dd0620a0c61cc459.jpg5d68da1b497f5_153657011360380104(20).jpg.8610ffc65ccaa5d057e7b52b65989cd0.jpg5d68da353dd03_153657011360380104(24).jpg.ae73afaefa6ab34e7af5f6131aed96ff.jpgsolnhofen.jpg.76dd03ba7eb39946850662021b7d8dd4.jpg166802558255587143.jpg.c38d91e9e45f17addf29c40166b797a2.jpg5d68da49ad887_153657011360380104(25).jpg.dfff987039b3c99f41e44da51f71ae91.jpg

12 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thanks Mark to be honest most things are out of focus over Christmas. I only have an iPhone but I will definitely retake some photos tomorrow in good light  and replace the blurry ones. 

Merry Christmas 

Bobby 

I'm ok with what you have posted already. I was implying that YOU should do the research to ID them -- they are good enough quality to allow it. No need to upload photos for my benefit.

Mark.

7 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I'm ok with what you have posted already. I was implying that you should do the research to ID them -- they are good enough quality to allow it. No need to upload photos for my benefit.

Oh cool, I was planning too and like you said something to do on a cold winters evening. 

10 minutes ago, ziggycardon said:

Great Christmas presents, very nice Mazon Creek material you got there!

cheers Ziggy I am really pleased with the lot.

Impressive quality on many of those fossils, Bobby. You've got a keeper. (Your wife, of course. My wife's my keeper too, much to her chagrin.)

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

These are from Ralph's (Nimravis) personal collection which he collected in the field. You should be able to find the Mazonomya online from our favorite auction site, but the Aviculopecten  won't be as easy.

Mark these were not mine, I believe Bobby’s wife bought them. I also just noticed that the part / counterpart piece with the Lepidodendron bark also appears to have the base of a Neuropteris  leaf.  @Bobby Rico

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

Mark these were not mine, I believe Bobby’s wife bought them. I also just noticed that the part / counterpart piece with the Lepidodendron bark also appears to have the base of a Neuropteris  leaf.  @Bobby Rico

Oops, my bad. You were mentioned in the original post and I assumed they were purchased from you. Mrs R apparently knows quality when she sees it.

Neuropteris  or Cyclopteris ? Hard to tell from what's there.

• I found this Informative 3

Mark.

Thanks everyone for the ID help and the kind comments about MrsR buyers skills. I have to say MrsR is really pleased  I like the little collection and the validation from my friends on the forum has really made her so happy . 

2 hours ago, Pagurus said:

Impressive quality on many of those fossils, Bobby. You've got a keeper. (Your wife, of course. My wife's my keeper too, much to her chagrin.)

Haha you and me both my friend.