Which Air Scribe to get with Christmas money?

joecooper84

I was given ~$400 USD on Christmas, earmarked for an air scribe and air compressor. I've read many posts on the site about what to get, but many are almost a decade old now (that's so hard to believe!)

My use-case would be limestone fossils (primarily ammonites or trilobites from North Texas / Oklahoma areas. 

I've seen recommendations for Chicago Pneumatic, a 8315B, Paleo-Tools, etc.

What all do I need to get, assuming I'm starting with nothing? If I need to save more money, I'm willing to do so.

I do have a 5 gallon cylinder shaped air-compressor, but assume I should get something bigger.

Thanks all!

Awesome! Money to spend on tools is the best!!

With this budget, I would suggest a Chicago Pneumatic CP9361. I use a 21 gallon compressor from Harbor Freight that was pretty cheap as well.

In regards to the air compressor - I've heard something about oil vs oil-less?

Also, do I need some sort of oil trap or something for the airscribe?

What tips do you recommend?

Definitely get an oil lubricated compressor. They are much quieter (still deafeningly loud tho). You do want an oil/moisture trap. A good one will only be around $20.

If you can put your compressor in a different room, that is best. Mine lives in the garage and I ran a line out to my prep lab.

Since the scribe has moving parts, you will want to drop a few drops of tool oil in the inlet side of the tool’s air line. I do 3 or 4 drops for every 8 hours of use.

Also, you will need some magnification. I use a lamp/lens combo as well as a microscope. You will want some kind of hearing protection. I use a set of ear bud headphones that have compression foam buds. You need a respirator (scribes make a ton of lung killing dust).

Keep in mind that your prep area will get a thick layer of dust on everything really fast, so don’t do it in an area that will make your significant other angry.

For the record, I like Paleo Tools more than Chicago Pneumatic but they are significantly more expensive (almost double).

Beware... You’re jumping into an expensive hobby with prepping.

I bought the Chicago earlier this year. I use mine in limestone, it's fun to use. It's loud. You turn it from 1-5 in strength, and 5 is the loudest and hardest hitting. I typically use it at 3-4.

Everything will get covered in rock dust. I won't use it unless I'm on the porch now. Maybe one day I'll make a prep box. I wear a standard paper dusk mask and use a full face shield. I found that goggles tend to fog up. I tried it without, I always ended up getting rock chips in my eyes. It's easier on the ears with hearing protection. It will vibrate your hands a ton and you'll want to take breaks.

I started with an under powered compressor, then bought a California air tools 8010 compressor for $143 at the time (8 gallon). It is amazingly quiet, much quieter than the air scribe to be honest.

I oil mine manually, I should do it more often. But the scribe is a high quality beast.

• I found this Informative 1

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos