Kato

This isn't the best field shot and I'm not sure how much I can clean up the specimens I brought home as they appear to be glauconite encrusted.  My thought when seeing these was Syringopora.

They are both somewhat dome shaped. The larger one is about 6" (16cm) in diameter and half of the bottom is exposed and looks like the top. Some of the indents have tiny crinoid segments captured in them.

sponges.thumb.jpg.84fd2f02aeec87e8ea25bc4b049215a1.jpg

Im thinking a stromatoporoid fossil. 

• I found this Informative 1

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

50 minutes ago, mikeymig said:

Im thinking a stromatoporoid fossil. 

hmmm....so maybe a sponge of some type? There were sponges in an adjoining formation as I have found sponge spicules.

I did read that stomatoporoids were basically extinct prior to the Pennsylvanian or did I misread? The features are depressions of irregular spacing and size and not bumps. 

What is the age of the rocks in this area? Stromatoporoids are from the Paleozoic and Mesozoic. A lot of the original details look like they were lost to the elements and time as a surface find. 

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

1 hour ago, mikeymig said:

What is the age of the rocks in this area? Stromatoporoids are from the Paleozoic and Mesozoic. A lot of the original details look like they were lost to the elements and time as a surface find. 

Based on where I found it my best guess is the boundary for Pennsylvanian Atokan-Desmoinesian approx 300 million years old. Locally, it would be the Gobbler Formation

Untitled.png.9e0b0dcb9c0962a66e4973742e2e020e.png