Unknown Shark Tooth

TimG.

Me and my dad were fossil hunting in the Calvert Cliffs Formation in Maryland, at brownies beach when my dad found this beauty. I thought it was a bull shark at first but upon closer inspection I am unsure as it hooks off at the end to the left. 

If anyone can identify this it would be much appreciated!

B7356E8E-32E1-429C-AFDA-775FE4F60FB7.jpeg

Edited by TimG.

Carcharhinus is the genus that the bull shark is a member of (its scientific name is Carcharhinus leucas). IMO, I don't think the tooth is robust enough to be a bull shark, likely a related species. My shot-in-the-dark guess would be maybe the bronze whaler Carcharhinus brachyurus, but please take my guess with a grain of salt, I am no shark expert. Instead, as everyone else seems to agree or imply, I think the best identification for the tooth would probably be Carcharhinus sp.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

2 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

Carcharhinus is the genus that the bull shark is a member of (its scientific name is Carcharhinus leucas). IMO, I don't think the tooth is robust enough to be a bull shark, likely a related species. My shot-in-the-dark guess would be maybe the bronze whaler Carcharhinus brachyurus, but please take my guess with a grain of salt, I am no shark expert. Instead, as everyone else seems to agree or imply, I think the best identification for the tooth would probably be Carcharhinus sp.

Yes, I think that has a chance to be a C. brachyurus tooth as well though some might call it C. priscus and maybe even another name.  It's hard to say, but yeah, just call it Carcharhinus sp. 

• I found this Informative 1