austinswamp

Hello I was hoping to get an ID on this jaw to help clarify the particular age of a layer that is eroding away currently in Dallas County, North Texas. Thank you

73380FF4-6750-41FD-BC7F-7F1696C9171D.jpeg

2CFA075B-56FD-4278-A0F3-105D6CF423E7.jpeg

This scute also came from the same layer...looks like it could be box turtle of soft shell turtle

F7C43D67-AB83-4E51-87BC-4345E4376DC5.jpeg

The jaw looks like it might be something like muskrat or similar critter. :zzzzscratchchin:

To me the jaw looks more like a hare or rabbit,

I am not sure about the second item.

• I found this Informative 1

The second item might be part of a soft shell turtle carapace.

Can you tell me what type of sediment layer these were found?    In Dallas county there are several layers,  cretaceous (limestones), Pleistocene ( limestone gravel layer), light clay and then modern dark soil layer that are recent.  I usually don't find anything above the Pleistocene layer though.  

13 minutes ago, Creek - Don said:

Can you tell me what type of sediment layer these were found?    In Dallas county there are several layers,  cretaceous (limestones), Pleistocene ( limestone gravel layer), light clay and then modern dark soil layer that are recent.  I usually don't find anything above the Pleistocene layer though.  

Cretaceous limestone

6 minutes ago, austinswamp said:

Cretaceous limestone

Thanks. When you find mammal bones closer to limestone layer in Dallas county, they are most likely a Pleistocene mammals.  Those bones are probably thousands of years old.  

10 hours ago, Creek - Don said:

Thanks. When you find mammal bones closer to limestone layer in Dallas county, they are most likely a Pleistocene mammals.  Those bones are probably thousands of years old.  

Well this can be subjective, if a prehistoric person placed the animals out of context 

the first jaw is a rabbit.  Not Cretaceous...

• I found this Informative 3

Never claimed this to be of Cretaceous age, there is a more recent formation above the layer of limestone. 

49 minutes ago, austinswamp said:

Never claimed this to be of Cretaceous age, there is a more recent formation above the layer of limestone. 

Your response to the question above ("Can you tell me what type of sediment layer these were found?") was....

On 12/28/2019 at 8:01 AM, austinswamp said:

Cretaceous limestone

I was just clarifying these did not originate in the "Cretaceous limestone". 

;)