Why am I not finding any Trilobites?

turtlefoot

Hi All,

Why am I not finding any trilobites (or even any identifiable trilobite partials)?  I know the obvious two answers would be that I am either overlooking them or I am hunting in an area that they will not be located in.  I am hunting outside of Willow Springs, Missouri, USA in what I believe to be Ordovician Period rock.  I am finding all sorts of crinoid, brachiopod, gastropod, bryozoa, rugose, favistella fossils and more.  I have even found a large stromatolite reef but I cannot find a trilobite fossil.  I would think with the diversity of the fossils that I am finding, trilobite fossils (pieces, partials or whole) would show up at least once.  The trilobite is THE bucket list fossil for me and if I need to change my method of searching or my area of searching I want to do that.  Virtually all of the fossils that I am finding are "field walking" finds.  I either find them in seasonal creek beds, areas of erosion or areas where dirt and rock have been removed or disturbed, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your time and any advice that you can give me.

• I found this Informative 1

This monograph should provide some additional assistance:

Heller, R.L. 1954

Stratigraphy and Paleontology of the Roubidoux Formation of Missouri.

Missouri Geological Survey, 2nd Series, 35:1-118  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I guess from what I have read and have been told that fossils are hard to locate in my area.  I guess I am fortunate to have found a local pocket that is fairly rich in fossils.  I spend a lot of time reading the information in the link you posted piranha and realized I have so much to learn.  I know that according to the DNR here in Missouri the specific area that I am hunting isn't the Roubidoux Formation but the Smithville Dolomite, Powell Dolomite, Cotter Dolomite, Jefferson City Dolomite Formation.  That being said, it seems that fossils are rare there too, with gastropods being one of the most common to find (80% of what I find).  It looks like if I want to find some trilobite fossils I will need to go to another part of the state.

Look for outcrops of the Maquoketa Shale. Depending where you're located you may need to head east or northeast an hour or two, which is still within the limits of a day trip. Google "geological map of missouri" and expand your search from there.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 12/28/2019 at 8:22 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Look for outcrops of the Maquoketa Shale. Depending where you're located you may need to head east or northeast an hour or two, which is still within the limits of a day trip. Google "geological map of missouri" and expand your search from there.

geomap.jpg

If you find any nice hash plates I’d take a look over them much closer again. I’ve hunted in the Maquoketa and Platteville of IL (both exposed in MO too I think) and have found plenty of tiny trilobite partials when re-examining hash plates. No complete ones yet though.