Archie

A couple of summers ago I found what is maybe my favorite Mississippian/Lower Carboniferous Visean shark fossil in Fife, Scotland and with some time off over the holiday season and pretty grim weather I've finally got round to prepping it :D  When I found it there were three damaged but very near complete large Saivodus striatus teeth, the root minus the central cusp of either a smaller S. saivodus or possibly a Cladodus mirabilis and a partial unidentified spine. I've exposed and restored the three big teeth to make them look complete again as best I can for now and exposed the rest of the root of the smaller one but will leave it as is along with the spine. Unfortunately I cant find the original pic of it as found but originally the tooth on the far left was missing the tips of the lateral cusps and the central cusp from about half way, the middle tooth was missing about half its root and one lateral cusp, and the tooth on the far right was missing a chunk out of one side including the lateral cusp and the opposite lateral cusp. I used resin for the restoration which I carved and then painted with water color and acrylic paints and finished the cusps with a coat of gloss varnish and the roots with matt varnish. I'm fairly happy with the restoration, it does seem to look quite a bit better in real life as photos seem to show up the restoration a lot more. The teeth are on a nice big block I've cut a base on in a thin layer around what seems to be a ball of clay with calcite infilled septarian cracks again, there's a few different types of invertebrate such as bryozoans, crinoids, brachiopods and a nice coral which I love finding teeth with as it gives them context. The block is 14cm tall and the teeth are all 2cm x 2cm.    

Saivodus 1.jpg

Saivodus 5.jpg

IMGP7257.JPG

Saivodus 3.jpg

Saivodus 4.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

Fantastic, Sam! 
Excellent find and prep!  :)   :envy:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

42 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Wow that is absolutely fantastic! Great find and great prep work. 

Thank you! :) 

36 minutes ago, Scylla said:

Lovely prep work!

Thanks! :) 

26 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Fantastic, Sam! 
Excellent find and prep!  :)   :envy:

Thanks Tim!! :) 

Great prep work and I love how the invertebrates give character to the background. The teeth are just dark enough to pop. Wonderful piece! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

14 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Very nice work.

14 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Great prep work and I love how the invertebrates give character to the background. The teeth are just dark enough to pop. Wonderful piece! 

Thanks guys! :)

I rarely find teeth in invertebrate hash so its always great when they pop up in it, this site seems to be especially good for it!