Probably not an old bone!

Elcapitangas

Hi

1st time poster so please go easy on me.  I’m almost certain this will be a modern bone but if anybody can tell from the photos I’d be interested to find out.

I picked this up off a beach in North Wales, UK where there is a petrified forest and peat beds where clove hoof prints have been found.  It was not submerged at all.

The tape measure shows cm & inches.

I’m sure it will just be a cow or sheep but you never know...

Thanks in advance

Steve

A1D06A4A-14CE-463B-BF14-135DB1F3043D.jpeg

30CA3614-2763-4D8B-9A9B-C70D04AD7E19.jpeg

FD4A2601-2218-47BA-94D5-C5204F15228B.jpeg

878C2FBB-A156-4D4C-AC3F-C3630564C2BB.jpeg

Hello and welcome to the forum! 

It’s definitely bone, but I don’t believe it is fossilized. Looks to be modern as you guessed. A few quick things to check. Does it feel heavy for the size? Usually fossilized bone is heavier. You could also try what is called the burn test. Hold a lighter to a spot and see if it gives off a smell. Organic material (i.e.modern bone) would give off a distinctive smell. 

I can’t help you with the ID, but I’m sure someone who can will be along shortly. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Hi 

Thanks for the quick response.  If it is old

it would have been under peat so won’t have fossilised anyway but would have been preserved. At the same spot a full set of deer antlers were found in excellent condition.

regards

Steve 

5 minutes ago, Elcapitangas said:

Hi 

Thanks for the quick response.  If it is old

it would have been under peat so won’t have fossilised anyway but would have been preserved. At the same spot a full set of deer antlers were found in excellent condition.

regards

Steve 

Oh I see. Sorry for my confusion. Hopefully someone will be able to ID it and eliminate or confirm your cow/sheep theory. ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

It's the epistropheus of a ruminant, from the photo it seems it comes from a sheep. anyway it doesn't seems fossilized

Cattura.JPG

Edited by Kiros
  • I found this Informative 1

55 minutes ago, Kiros said:

It's the epistropheus of a ruminant, from the photo it seems it comes from a sheep. anyway it doesn't seems fossilized

"epistopheus"...?  I had never heard this word.  Now I know.  I agree with your ID. 

12 minutes ago, jpc said:

"epistopheus"...?  I had never heard this word.  Now I know.  I agree with your ID. 

ahaha I know, it's a strange word but in italian it's "epistrofeo" that translated becomes ephistropheus. maybe there is a easier word for it. anyway it is the second cervical vertebra aftrer the atlas

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Kiros said:

ahaha I know, it's a strange word but in italian it's "epistrofeo" that translated becomes ephistropheus. maybe there is a easier word for it. anyway it is the second cervical vertebra aftrer the atlas

I'd never heard that term either.  My professors always said 'axis'.  Learned something new today!

18 minutes ago, ParkerPaleo said:

I'd never heard that term either.  My professors always said 'axis'.  Learned something new today!

Well axis is definitely easier to say :heartylaugh:

7 hours ago, jpc said:

I have also always called it the axis.  Maybe axis is American and epistopheus is British?  

Mm I think ephistropheus is the Latin word, like the name of a genus or specie

On 12/30/2019 at 11:04 AM, Kiros said:

Epistrofeo translated to English is "axis".

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!