3 IDs, 2 Pathological, 1 Senile

Shellseeker

Quite a day, interesting finds, back home at 7 pm, watching Ohio State - Clemson,  out again for fossils tomorrow.

Tooth #1 Shark Pathological

PathoSharkTooth1.JPG.3d6d94ca2762e01006eb0ccdea13a8be.JPGPathoSharkTooth2.JPG.e3de41fe1ce379552e237272aa1132ab.JPG

Tooth #2 Pathological Mammal:

PathoMammalTooth1.JPG.89edf66288f2b1b26585b61517af1132.JPGPathoMammalTooth2.JPG.b5543d2f8f7606794c1040acee14bc0f.JPGPathoMammalTooth3.JPG.4227d6ce18a772f51a5c2e66d8f87573.JPG

Tooth #3 Senile Mammal:

SenileMammalTooth1.JPG.bf22c52ee5a119afd344ef093f22d556.JPGSenileMammalTooth2.JPG.f679eec8d350ff7f6f0bf666e50abaff.JPGSenileMammalTooth3.JPG.72fa8ed915cce912d52afe34af9b0356.JPG

Be nice to see TFF comments and IDs when I am able to look after 6 pm Sunday, EST

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Ohio State - Clemson,

You are too nice not to be a Buckeye. Congratulations to those who are Clemson fans. Good game. To Ohio State fans, OH....

By the way, GREAT finds. All three are neat!!

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

First one’s a Carcharhinus.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

19 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

You are too nice not to be a Buckeye. Congratulations to those who are Clemson fans. Good game. To Ohio State fans, OH....

Thank you Mike,  My better half graduated from Clemson, which means I get to watch every Clemson football game in its entirety, independent of score. She is what you might call a fan...atic.:D.  These are stressful times in my household..  Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

19 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

First one’s a Carcharhinus.

Well, I am pretty familiar with the most common Florida fossil shark teeth, and if I were to do a WAG,  just based on appearance,  which I do understand is completely unscientific (:headscratch:)  , I would tend to think , this pathological one looks mostly like two lower dusky (c. obscurus) teeth mashed together, and Dusky/Bull tend to be the most common shark tooth (along with Lemon) found in my hunting grounds. 

Thanks for the ID :fistbump: I am real pleased with the tooth.

6 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Item 2 appears to be an isolated lacuna from a bovid tooth.

Item 3 might be a senile tapir tooth.

Your photos confirm tapir.  On the "isolated lacuna", I was kind of amazed. At first I thought the roots, were the un_erupted occlusal surface, but I did not recognize the roots as similar to anything I had seen. And I do not imagine that there are many "Isolated lacunas"  out in the fossil world.  I do not think it is broken, although the encrustation hides a lot.

I think it is one for the cabinet case for our friend @jcbshark, even when it it not possible to ID below the level of 'bovid' .  Thanks for the IDs

31 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Your photos confirm tapir.  On the "isolated lacuna", I was kind of amazed. At first I thought the roots, were the un_erupted occlusal surface, but I did not recognize the roots as similar to anything I had seen. And I do not imagine that there are many "Isolated lacunas"  out in the fossil world.  I do not think it is broken, although the encrustation hides a lot.

I think it is one for the cabinet case for our friend @jcbshark, even when it it not possible to ID below the level of 'bovid' .  Thanks for the IDs

I don't understand.  Are you rejecting the lacuna identification?  I think that there are many, many isolated lacunae out in the fossil world.  It's just that exceedingly few get picked up and examined.  On TFF we more often see vertical slivers of horse teeth, I suppose because horse teeth are much more common than bison teeth in Florida.  

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

2 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Well, I am pretty familiar with the most common Florida fossil shark teeth, and if I were to do a WAG,  just based on appearance,  which I do understand is completely unscientific (:headscratch:)  , I would tend to think , this pathological one looks mostly like two lower dusky (c. obscurus) teeth mashed together, and Dusky/Bull tend to be the most common shark tooth (along with Lemon) found in my hunting grounds. 

Thanks for the ID :fistbump: I am real pleased with the tooth.

I think it’s a split-crown tooth. The root has one nutrient groove and doesn’t seem distorted.

By the way, I took your recommendation of the 1/4” woven mesh screen from Pegasus. It seems very durable and works perfectly. Thanks for showing me that company.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

13 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I don't understand.  Are you rejecting the lacuna identification?  I think that there are many, many isolated lacunae out in the fossil world.  It's just that exceedingly few get picked up and examined.  On TFF we more often see vertical slivers of horse teeth, I suppose because horse teeth are much more common than bison teeth in Florida. 

Absolutely not.. It is bovid, it is a lacuna.

My focus is how this specific fossil was formed. It is partially covered with matrix that seems impossible to remove without breakage. Outside of that , it seems to be intact, no breakage, and minimal erosion from water or sand.

Every other "Isolated" lacuna I have ever seen fossil hunting, fossil shows, fossil research, was isolated by breaking or wearing off the rest of the normally identifiable molar.

It would be like finding a single Mastodont loph in high quality preservation and no indications of damage. I also wonder of it is mostly or entirely enamel.

Agree that there are surprises in the fossil world, which is why my thought here are possibilities, rather than probabilities. 

12 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

I think it’s a split-crown tooth. The root has one nutrient groove and doesn’t seem distorted.

By the way, I took your recommendation of the 1/4” woven mesh screen from Pegasus. It seems very durable and works perfectly. Thanks for showing me that company.

Agree - split-crown,

I love woven mesh. I "fit" sieve size to screen size. No sharp edges to prick my fingers and it Lastsssssssssssssssssss....