Pennsylvania Fossil Sites?

Johnny676767

My son (9 years old) and I are hoping to find a spot to look for fossils. We have only been hunting a few times before in California. We’re on vacation in Pennsylvania, in East Stroudsburg (1.5 hours - or so- East of New York City). We came to ski but I have been reading that this area could be good for fossils. 

Any tips on sites or features? I really don’t know anything about the area. Personally, I’d rather pull over in the side of the road or hike somewhere than go to a pay-to-dig site. 

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Look into Beltzville State Park which is an hour or so SW of East Stroudsburg. It's a park that has a spillway that yields fossils from the Devonian period. One can find Trilobite bits and pieces along with fossil shells and the like. Free access from what I understand. I've never been but my local club goes there once a year.

Sorry our winter weather is more like a southern Cali winter. :unsure:

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the tip about Beltzville. It was rainy and windy but my son, nephew and I found some interesting fossils along the beach walking toward the dam. I need to get an identification reference book but I believe these are all crinoids?

693F8ACE-64DE-45C0-A355-A391F35F7164.jpeg

26FC8C3A-D17A-4C6B-8A6E-A5F692A49716.jpeg

DFAE88CF-813C-4E28-A65B-94BCBCC3B1BE.jpeg

D23B0DA8-6FBF-4D9C-9623-93C39C9924FD.jpeg

A52034A2-47B1-4CA4-AD6F-9675EC7D998B.jpeg

8AC71694-8E8B-4EFE-A06B-22C8050D81CD.jpeg

4D280277-70A4-4A48-BAFF-16D56A91C855.jpeg

Not all crinoids, you have a few brachiopod fragment in those pieces, too, in your 1st, 4th, and 6th photos. Unfortunately, there's not enough there to ID.

The lower right corner of your first photo looks interesting, too. Does it wrap around to the back of the rock at all? I can't ID it with any certainty from this photo, but it could be a piece of trilobite (I'm thinking of a Dipleura pygidium), or a bivalve shell.

Nice finds! :D