2019 Mazon Creek personal finds !!

flipper559

Here is a few of my Lucky finds for 2019 Mazon Creek fossil collecting season. I will try to keep adding to it as time and posting ability permits. My wife and I collected 14 times in 2019 at 4 different areas. We had a great time, met many great people, learned a great deal, on our adventures.   Anyhow, I'll give this a try, and apologize in advance for the less than perfect photos. 

Phil

fish1.JPG

fish2.JPG

• I found this Informative 21
  • Enjoyed 1

My scorpion !! Found open. You never know !! My personal find of the year !!  I'd rather be lucky then good any day.scorpion1.thumb.JPG.d8188b09bf9fba518632524f50473f07.JPGscorpion2.thumb.JPG.911655a9dcaae31845cf9b351d11a471.JPG

• I found this Informative 21

4 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Both very nice indeed. What besties  are we looking at then? 

Sorry, I didn't label them, the fish is an Elonichthys' peltigerus I believe. If I am mistaken, some of the other Mazon Creek guys will correct me.

• I found this Informative 2

5 minutes ago, connorp said:

Wow, spectacular finds! Are these from Pit 11?

Thank you !!  The scorpion is from pit 11, the fish is from the creek. Both were open finds.

• I found this Informative 3

28 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Finally some Mazon Creek fauna that actually looks like what it's supposed to be!  :heartylaugh:

:shrug: Thank you

51 minutes ago, flipper559 said:

My scorpion !! Found open. You never know !! My personal find of the year !!  I'd rather be lucky then good any day.scorpion1.thumb.JPG.d8188b09bf9fba518632524f50473f07.JPGscorpion2.thumb.JPG.911655a9dcaae31845cf9b351d11a471.JPG

This is a beautiful and rare specimen.

Congratulations on a wonderful find!

4 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Amazing and drool-worthy specimens.  :wub: :wub: :drool: :drool: :wub: :wub:  Makes me want to pack the car and head to Mazon Creek tonight!

Don

Pack some warm clothes, I believe they are in the "freeze cycle" right now. :blink:

1 hour ago, RCFossils said:

This is a beautiful and rare specimen.

Congratulations on a wonderful find!

Thanks Rob !! Very lucky find indeed !! I have a long way to go to catch up with all your specimens. I've learned so much from your posts and threads. Thank you !!  Funny thing about this one is I didn't realize what it was until I was washing my concretions a few days later and noticed the body section. I took it in the house under good light and discovered what it was. It's a fairly thick jelly fish like concretion and had a lot of calcium on it. I dissolved that off with vinegar and it came out nice. Are there different species of scorpions ?? I don't see much in the Mazon Creek Fauna book of Wittry's (although I do see one of your's on the cover). And saw your whip post a short while back. Anyway, thanks for the comments !!

Phil

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

Amazing and drool-worthy specimens.  :wub: :wub: :drool: :drool: :wub: :wub:  Makes me want to pack the car and head to Mazon Creek tonight!

Don

I'll come too! Can I get a ride?:thumbsu:

35 minutes ago, Carboniferouspat said:

Both just amazing . I am totally jealous. Congratulations !!!!

Thank you !!  There are still fossils to be found. I have just been collecting for a year . I here all the stories of the good old days of collecting in the 50's 60's 70's 80's and such. Yes, collecting is a bit tougher today , but many things still out there !!

Wow!

Yes, obviously many things still to be found there, despite all the talk of how much easier it was in the old days. I was going to ask, how did something like that get left there by all the previous collectors?

I guess the lesson is: pick up everything you find, if possible, even if it doesn't look too interesting, and clean and examine it closely at home! I've come home unknowingly with a few good things that way, from my local haunts.

Those are both truly breathtaking- that scorpion in particular is a find of a lifetime! It is so well-preserved and has such intricate details visible. I saw you mention it in another thread earlier this year and I have been waiting for you to post it. :P  I hope your wonderful luck continues. (and with 14 trips in a year I think there is also a lot of dedication involved there too) 

19 minutes ago, deutscheben said:

Those are both truly breathtaking- that scorpion in particular is a find of a lifetime! It is so well-preserved and has such intricate details visible. I saw you mention it in another thread earlier this year and I have been waiting for you to post it. :P  I hope your wonderful luck continues. (and with 14 trips in a year I think there is also a lot of dedication involved there too) 

Thank you sir !! We did spend a lot of time in the field this year, and I have found that the more time you put into it, the luckier you can be. Had a blast collecting this year, ticks and all !!

19 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Wow!

Yes, obviously many things still to be found there, despite all the talk of how much easier it was in the old days. I was going to ask, how did something like that get left there by all the previous collectors?

I guess the lesson is: pick up everything you find, if possible, even if it doesn't look too interesting, and clean and examine it closely at home! I've come home unknowingly with a few good things that way, from my local haunts.

Well, I wondered the same thing, but considering that area is like 1600 acres or something like that, I would venture to guess that some of the areas haven't been searched in many, many years. In particular the hardest to reach places, thickest brush places, poison ivy places ,etc. those are the areas I like to search out. I do not believe any previous collectors saw it, or saw what it was if they did see it. It wouldn't be the type of thing they would throw back on the ground. And opened concretions don't last forever out in the wild, they break down and disappear . I like to think that I rescued this one !!

Phil

This one I believe to be an insect, poorly preserved, maybe an Eucaenus ovalis ?? :shrug: If someone can ID this one, please do !!

15a.JPG

15b.JPG