2019 Mazon Creek personal finds !!

flipper559

Very nice specimens. You are doing better than the average. Much better. A whole lot much extremely better and really good too. Congrats.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

8 hours ago, flipper559 said:

Well, I wondered the same thing, but considering that area is like 1600 acres or something like that, I would venture to guess that some of the areas haven't been searched in many, many years. In particular the hardest to reach places, thickest brush places, poison ivy places ,etc. those are the areas I like to search out. I do not believe any previous collectors saw it, or saw what it was if they did see it. It wouldn't be the type of thing they would throw back on the ground. And opened concretions don't last forever out in the wild, they break down and disappear . I like to think that I rescued this one !!

Phil

That's what I'm sayin'! 

Any fossil that is found on the surface and picked up is rescued, in my book. Every time I'm out collecting is a salvage operation. (Someone on the forum used that term a while ago and it has stuck with me. Very appropriate)

• I found this Informative 2

9 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Very nice specimens. You are doing better than the average. Much better. A whole lot much extremely better and really good too. Congrats.

Thank you Mark !! I have had a fortunate year, and like to think I have searched aggressively in my first year collecting. An old fisherman once told me, "the more time spent on the water fishing, the luckier you will be"

Phil

• I found this Informative 1

Stunning... all of them!  That scorpion is breathtaking!   I'm following you next time we are in the same place!

Cheers,

Rich

12 minutes ago, stats said:

Stunning... all of them!  That scorpion is breathtaking!   I'm following you next time we are in the same place!

Cheers,

Rich

Rich, how is that gonna work when I'm following you ?? We'll be going in circles !!:zzzzscratchchin:

Thanks for the kind words,

Phil

Not a Mazon Creek Fossil, but I did find it in the creek. I think it's a fossilized bison tooth ?? And a Native American gaming ball a few feet from it. All kinds of stuff in the creek !! 

bison3.JPG

bison1.JPG

bison2.JPG

5 hours ago, flipper559 said:

An old fisherman once told me, "the more time spent on the water fishing, the luckier you will be"

Phil

I'm glad you listened. Most folks just ignore me. :D I'll bet your luck was much better on the last three outings than it was on the first three?

Mark.

33 minutes ago, flipper559 said:

Not a Mazon Creek Fossil, but I did find it in the creek. I think it's a fossilized bison tooth ?? And a Native American gaming ball a few feet from it. All kinds of stuff in the creek !! 

bison3.JPG

bison1.JPG

Horse upper molar.

9 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I'm glad you listened. Most folks just ignore me. :D I'll bet your luck was much better on the last three outings than it was on the first three?

:tiphat:That is true for the most part, although the scorpion was found on trip #3

1 minute ago, flipper559 said:

:tiphat:That is true for the most part, although the scorpion was found on trip #3

That's known as motivation. Luck is what you make it. The scorpion was merely an invitation to return 11 more times.

Mark.

10 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

That's known as motivation. Luck is what you make it. The scorpion was merely an invitation to return 11 more times.

I couldn't agree more !!

This one (first two pictures) has 5 different types of flora (2 different types of seed bracts, a cone, a fern, and a stem). Next is a sea cucumber. and then a Cyclus Americanus.

2a.JPG

2b.JPG

7.JPG

10.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

I dont care what the polls say, that scorpion is the invertebrate find of the month.

6 hours ago, TheRocksWillShoutHisGlory said:

I dont care what the polls say, that scorpion is the invertebrate find of the month.

Thank you sir, It's definitely the center piece of my budding collection. I found it last summer, and didn't know of "fossil of the month" and such. Not that I would have submitted it anyway. Just wanted to show and let people know that amazing fossils can still be found.

Phil 

On 1/1/2020 at 1:59 PM, flipper559 said:

Rich, how is that gonna work when I'm following you ?? We'll be going in circles !!:zzzzscratchchin:

Thanks for the kind words,

Phil

LOL!

Cheers,

Rich

Golly I love all these Mazon Creek threads. 

I can't get enough of these posts. 

That scorpion is the most beautiful find. :)

Thanks so much for sharing all these wonderful finds with us. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 12/30/2019 at 10:44 PM, Wrangellian said:

Wow!

Yes, obviously many things still to be found there, despite all the talk of how much easier it was in the old days. I was going to ask, how did something like that get left there by all the previous collectors?

I guess the lesson is: pick up everything you find, if possible, even if it doesn't look too interesting, and clean and examine it closely at home! I've come home unknowingly with a few good things that way, from my local haunts.

You arent allowed to dig beyond what you could pry up with a pocket knife at the site, so erosion has to refresh the area with newly exposed concretions each season.  

True... but you still can overlook stuff if you're in a hurry or don't have a good eye, I guess.

Phil, such great finds, all of them! I sincerely hope you continue posting these. 

Of course I love the scorpion, I feel privileged you let me hold it in my hand at the Creek outing last year.

The fish really captures my imagination, though. It looks like it's from a painting, jumping out of the water with a line coming from it's mouth leading to a boat in the background.

Congrats on all of these, looking forward to collecting with you in 2020!

Chris

You found both the fish and scorpion open?! That's wild! Incredible luck,  Good luck in further collecting, you may or may not need it. :d_good_luck:

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

7 hours ago, Mioplosus_Lover24 said:

You found both the fish and scorpion open?! That's wild! Incredible luck,  Good luck in further collecting, you may or may not need it. :d_good_luck:

Yep, both were open finds. My 2 best finds of 2019 !!   

Thank you, best of luck to you as well for 2020 !!

Phil

Had a clam open, spoil pile find. They don't always open the best.......this one didn't. I like the "clam clam" fossils !!

clam1.JPG

clam2.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

On 1/2/2020 at 3:11 PM, flipper559 said:

This one (first two pictures) has 5 different types of flora (2 different types of seed bracts, a cone, a fern, and a stem). Next is a sea cucumber. and then a Cyclus Americanus.

2a.JPG

2b.JPG

7.JPG

10.JPG

Are those all Braceville?  Cyclus is one of my favorites!  Nice!

Cheers,

Rich

6 hours ago, stats said:

Are those all Braceville?  Cyclus is one of my favorites!  Nice!

Cheers,

Rich

Rich, the top one with multiple flora is from the creek.  The sea cucumber and cyclus are from Braceville.

Phil