2019 Mazon Creek personal finds !!

flipper559

22 hours ago, flipper559 said:

I like the "clam clam" fossils !!

It's all relative to what you are finding. A few hundred of them from Chowder Flats back in the day may have changed your mind. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 2 months later...

Couple of 2020 finds.  Small but pretty Annularia found at Pit 11 March 4th, and opened March 10th. The second is a shrimp, I'm not sure of the variety, found also on March 4th, Pit 11.

Annu2.jpg

shrimp2.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

This one is a Spiropteris , "fiddlehead" found Aug of 2019, opened March of 2020. My first one of this type !! Pretty cool !!

fiddlehead1.jpg

fiddlehead2.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Nice finds. Congratulations.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Saw the book entry for the fiddlehead today and thought to myself, I'd really like to find one of those. Then I opened your thread and I did! Congrats on many wonderful finds! Chris

14 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Nice finds. Congratulations.

Thanks Mark !!

Phil

4 hours ago, bigred97 said:

Saw the book entry for the fiddlehead today and thought to myself, I'd really like to find one of those. Then I opened your thread and I did! Congrats on many wonderful finds! Chris

Thank you Chris !! Fiddleheads are indeed pretty cool !!

Phil

• 7 months later...

Collecting season 2020 is over for me. I'll post a few of my finds in the coming weeks/months. I had a fun year !! Collected Mazon Creek Fossils 28 days this year. that's a record for me !

This one I believe, is a type of shrimp, maybe Anthracaris gracilis ?  This one was a creek find, Braidwood Fauna.

l11.22.2020a(1).jpg

l11.22.2020b.jpg

l11.22.2020c.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

I think that is probably a good guess but I have a hard time identifying shrimp. Hopefully someone else can confirm. At first when I saw the picture I was hoping it might be an insect but I think shrimp is more likely.

28 days! I think I got in 9 or 10. When I retire some day then I'll be more in your league.

I've got 12 5-gallon buckets outside about half-full each waiting for the freezing weather. Most of that is concretions from the Creek itself. Plus something like 15 tupperware containers going through freeze/thaw cycles in my basement freezer. I can't imagine how many buckets you must have! Hopefully I'll get more time soon to take some pictures of the more interesting finds over the summer, I have a couple that I really like and some that are very perplexing.

I look forward to seeing more of your finds! It was a great season - it was nice to see you and the rest of the Mazon Creek gang at several events in the midst of all this 2020 craziness. Chris

• I found this Informative 2

26 minutes ago, bigred97 said:

I think that is probably a good guess but I have a hard time identifying shrimp. Hopefully someone else can confirm. At first when I saw the picture I was hoping it might be an insect but I think shrimp is more likely.

28 days! I think I got in 9 or 10. When I retire some day then I'll be more in your league.

I've got 12 5-gallon buckets outside about half-full each waiting for the freezing weather. Most of that is concretions from the Creek itself. Plus something like 15 tupperware containers going through freeze/thaw cycles in my basement freezer. I can't imagine how many buckets you must have! Hopefully I'll get more time soon to take some pictures of the more interesting finds over the summer, I have a couple that I really like and some that are very perplexing.

I look forward to seeing more of your finds! It was a great season - it was nice to see you and the rest of the Mazon Creek gang at several events in the midst of all this 2020 craziness. Chris

I was hoping insect initially too Chris !! It is also a ventral view.  I did find an open horseshoe crab in the creek this year as well.  Yes, I got to see and collect with you twice this year. Always a good time !! For such a crazy year, fossil collecting was great help in maintaining my sanity !! Good Luck in the freeze/thaw season !!

Phil

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, bigred97 said:

Definitely Anthracaris!

Look forward to seeing some of your other finds.

17 hours ago, connorp said:

Great shrimp! 28 days is quite a lot (but never enough?)

Thank you  !!  Yes, 28 was a lot for us, but like you say, never enough !! We went to Mazonia ( Pit 11)  12 times, the creek 15 times, and the Braceville spoil pile 1 time. Was nice to meet you this year !!  Happy Freeze/Thaw season, and we'll run into you again somewhere next year !!!

Phil

• 2 months later...

Little shrimp I had open today. Mazon creek find. I believe this one is an Acanthotelson stimpsoni . One of the nicer shrimp I have opened.  

shrimp1.jpg.21290e5c989a5e00ddfd1578bebc1a00.jpgshrimp2.jpg.2c2c357250fb1fd6de02619f721bdd71.jpgshrimp3.jpg.fcad56232c89eca23ddd9ca03982c5fc.jpgshrimp4.jpg.fd8c89e26ff60b1bbe752ad3d811ee2b.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

4 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very nice little shrimp.:)

Thank you Adam !!

1 hour ago, bigred97 said:

That's awesome, Phil! Look at that detail, I love it.  Congrats, that's a great find! Chris

Thank you Chris, I've never had one open where the legs and antenna showed so well !!

There are some really spectacular Mazon Creek fossils in this thread!  :wub: :wub: :drool: :wub: :wub:

I am curious though, how does anyone get to collect in the creek for 15 days?  I thought access was strictly limited to the I & M Canal National Heritage Area fundraiser trip twice a year.

Don

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

There are some really spectacular Mazon Creek fossils in this thread!  :wub: :wub: :drool: :wub: :wub:

I am curious though, how does anyone get to collect in the creek for 15 days?  I thought access was strictly limited to the I & M Canal National Heritage Area fundraiser trip twice a year.

Don

Don, the place we went the most is a private property pay site. I have one other place on the creek where I have permission to go that produces fossils. Only about 15% of the Mazon Creek produces fossils. The rest just a regular creek.  But all of it is private property and hard to gain access. We also collect at the I & M Canal outing, cost is $150. a day for a few hours of collecting and a fantastic meal afterwards .

Phil

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

You are indeed fortunate to have access to such a special site!  I wish I lived closer.

Don

Yes, we are fortunate for sure !! We just started collecting Mazon Creek Fossils, about 2 1/2 years ago. Thanks for the compliment on my fossils !! Still learning much. Last year was a particularly good year for collecting the creek as the water level was very low for an extended period. (about 5 months)  Although one day we were collecting the creek and the water level rose about 3 feet in 1 hour, from the previous days rain. If you are ever in the area Don, give me a holler !!

Phil

Wow just read through this thread...some very very impressive Mazon Creek fossils you managed to find in one summer :default_faint:.  I really like that scorpion.

Hope you have a fruitful upcoming summer as well  

14 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Wow just read through this thread...some very very impressive Mazon Creek fossils you managed to find in one summer :default_faint:.  I really like that scorpion.

Hope you have a fruitful upcoming summer as well  

Thank you !! It's been 2 summers now '19 & '20. And good luck to you as well this year !!

Phil

On 1/28/2021 at 9:18 PM, flipper559 said:

Little shrimp I had open today. Mazon creek find. I believe this one is an Acanthotelson stimpsoni . One of the nicer shrimp I have opened.  

shrimp1.jpg.21290e5c989a5e00ddfd1578bebc1a00.jpgshrimp2.jpg.2c2c357250fb1fd6de02619f721bdd71.jpgshrimp3.jpg.fcad56232c89eca23ddd9ca03982c5fc.jpgshrimp4.jpg.fd8c89e26ff60b1bbe752ad3d811ee2b.jpg

Awesome shrimp, Phil!  Can't wait to get back out again!

Cheers,

Rich