Idea for next Fossil

Righteous

This is a small collection I have for my granddaughter for when she gets older. I’m limited to getting my fossils from antique shops or online except for the arrowheads. What would be something else to pick up for her that’s maybe in a different time frame or different then what I have. My budget it limited only getting one check a month so can’t spend a fortune. Ideas??

5150A9F8-F903-487C-8A08-264D39C0D021.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

A little more Paleozoic can't hurt, and may fit right into your budget. You can acquire affordable trilobites, brachiopods, bryozoans, bivalves, and coral fairly easily. 

That being said, perhaps there are additional considerations: 

1. Is there a type of organism your granddaughter adores that it would be worth to find fossil ancestor representatives of?

2. Another consideration is that this collection is an expression of grandpa's interests and passions. :) When your granddaughter receives this collection, she should always remember the kindly figure who collected these items, and so the collection should be representative of what you enjoy about fossils. She'll have the rest of her life to add to it.

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I would consider a few plant fossils from the  Carboniferous era. 

They aren't super expensive, and can be quite lovely. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Maybe try different species of brachiopods, there are tons out there, they are small, most are cheaper in cost, some are very pretty and you can display them in individual membrane frames that can also be purchased a reasonable prices if you check around.

Yanno when I was around 16 we would dove hunt in the coal mine pits, I remember as I sat there I would shift through the slate and find plant fossils one after another but never thought any thing about it then. All off limits now. 

All good suggestions here. I lean towards the Carboniferous plant material myself. Here is my last purchase from a fossil show. Very inexpensive and, in my opinion, beautiful. I think the size of something like this would fit in with your existing display nicely. If memory serves, its around 5x7 inches.

purchase.thumb.JPG.8b4838e63b994275582a9d5fdf66aed7.JPG 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I know I'm sort of prejudiced, but a few more ammonites from the Cretaceous and Jurassic periods would be nice, not all that expensive and quite easy to track down on the internet or at fossil shows.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Does it/they need to be big? 

I could probably help you out if you could use some small items.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I’m not wanting anything big as I don’t have a lot of room. I can trade you the small bug fossil if you would like. Thanks

I like to help our youth grow in the love of the paleo world.

Please PM me you full name and mailing address and I'll see what I can do.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

12 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Does it/they need to be big? 

I could probably help you out if you could use some small items.

Sent you a PM I think. Sorta new at this 

Definitely plant fossils. Plant fossils are less popular even though many are spectacularly well preserved and most beautiful. Since they're not "hot stuff" like shark and dinosaur teeth they are very reasonably priced in most cases unless very rare species. You get a lot of bang for the buck with plants.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I agree with all above.  You might also want to add a star fish, crinoids and maybe a partial Oreodont skull or bones.  Whatever you decide to add I'm sure she'll love and cherish.

Amber inclusion fossils are fascinating, beautiful and surprisingly cheap, especially Cretaceous pieces from Myanmar.

I like all the aforementioned suggestions: plants, small marine inverts, mammal, amber, etc. Perhaps a small hadrosaur spitter tooth as those are pretty cheap if she's interested in dinosaurs. Or maybe an interesting hash plate with various marine creatures on it.