Mosasaur skull - Broken, fragile, in need of advice...

Scribbler

• 6 months later...

It's been so long, you probably thought I'd fossilized myself...

I don't post much and have been poor at keeping you informed on progress, but I'm, pleased to confirm this project is finished and it's finally ready to be displayed on the wall!  :egypt:

In short, following prep of the fossil, I followed my gut and did almost exactly what I suggested in one of the earlier posts (slow setting epoxy backing, made a mold, fibreglass 'shell' (incorporating Snolly's metal frame with threaded bar attachments), attached whole fossil using semi-flexible sealant to this and then made an oak frame with black backing board.  It therefore sits proud of the frame in the exact position it was discovered, just a lot cleaner and free of matrix.

I'm sure there have been multiple newbie faults, but I'm pretty pleased.  It's an impressive piece and conversation starter if nothing else...

I'll also try to dig out some of the construction pics, but do let me know what you think!

Mosasaur Finished - 1.jpg

Mosasaur Finished - 2.jpg

Mosasaur Finished - 3.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Right, next projects beckon.  Have a massive Edmontosaurus hip to prep and piece back together (plus work out how to best display) and then a partial trike horn to sort...

I love this. :Jumping:

• 1 year later...