Crystalized fossil or a pipe dream?

turtlefoot

I have a rock feature that I am a bit doubtful, but hopeful about.  I have a few "crystalized" fossils and have seen some very nice ones from near my hunting area also posted.  This does mean that there are some out there.  This little feature measures almost 11mm long and is 6mm wide.  In hand, the left side really looks like a head segment of some sort with the line and what does look like two eye spots.  The main area has what looks like segment end features going around the sides.  The square crystal feature in the center is a totally new one for me.  I have found literally hundreds, if not thousands of crystal specimens (mostly in the quartz family) and have never seen anything like this.

This rock has several other fossil and fossil imprints in it.  There are cephlapod fossils, rugose coral fossils, and other features that I am still researching.  Researching and using the state geological map, it was found in a late ordovician period area.  It was found outside of Willow Springs, Missouri, USA.  My hopes are that it is a trilobite fossil of some sort or an isopod fossil.  :trilo::trilowalk: I am NOT getting my hopes up real high though. :fingerscrossed:

Crystal001.jpg

I'm not getting an organic vibe from it. Could you post a photo zoomed out to show twice or three times the area? What is around it may be a clue to its identity. Sorry about being a pain in the. . . . .but it doesn't look like the cross-section of anything I can think of.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

That's not a problem at all.  I will get an image of the whole side.  Give me a couple of minutes.

My geuss would be a piece of a crinoid columnal. I'm really not certain on that, but I could attest this isn't a trilobite section. I dont see any shape or ressemblance of trilobite features displayed.

Here are a few more images of the rock.  The first is the entire rock itself, measuring 62x51mm and the next four images are features on the same side of the rock and the final image is on the opposite side of the feature that I have a question on.  The third image is a little fuzzy but in hand, it looks like a small brachiopod.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

1 hour ago, howard_l said:

Could be a replaced fossil like a brachiopod

I can see it being a replaced brachiopod.

17 minutes ago, Jackson g said:

My geuss would be a piece of a crinoid columnal. I'm really not certain on that, but I could attest this isn't a trilobite section. I dont see any shape or ressemblance of trilobite features displayed.

Being a wishful thinker, I was hoping for a trilobite (it is on my bucket list) but being a realist, I am 100% certain that you are right.  I can also see it being a crinoid but I do have a question:  From doing a little research, is found that there were oval shaped crinoids, but are there any examples of square holed crinoid?  Instead of the crinoid hole, is the square just the crystal replacement material?

Thank you all for the great assistance.  It is so appreciated.

I don't think there are square holed crinoid columnals, typically the rule of thumb for me is to look for symmetry on the columnal. I dont see any on yours pictured, but I assumed it could've been eroded or weathered away. I am still uncertain on the ID, but it doesn't look geological.

1 hour ago, Jackson g said:

I don't think there are square holed crinoid columnals, typically the rule of thumb for me is to look for symmetry on the columnal. I dont see any on yours pictured, but I assumed it could've been eroded or weathered away. I am still uncertain on the ID, but it doesn't look geological.

I am so new to fossil identifying I was not completely certain if it was geological or a fossil.  In hand, it really doesn't look geological to me.  I have see a lot of crystal pockets in rocks over the last twenty years and haven't seen any like this before.

2 hours ago, turtlefoot said:

I have see a lot of crystal pockets in rocks over the last twenty years and haven't seen any like this before.

I believe the best that can be said for certain is, now you have.:)

I do get the sense that there are poorly preserved fossils in the rock though.

5 hours ago, turtlefoot said:

006.jpg

I'm quite certain that this here is a partial straight nautiloid. The 2 oval features appear to be shellfish of some sort.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

7 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I believe the best that can be said for certain is, now you have.:)

I do get the sense that there are poorly preserved fossils in the rock though.

You are correct on both of those statements.  I have found a lot of different crystals and crystal containing rocks and I am always amazed by their beauty.  The fossils in this particular rock are some of the poorest that I have actually brought home.  

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I'm quite certain that this here is a partial straight nautiloid. The 2 oval features appear to be shellfish of some sort.

I was hoping someone would comment on the nautiloid.  I was really hoping that was what it was.  Thank you so much for that id.  I think you are probably right on the shellfish too.  I just need to do more research on my end.

3 minutes ago, turtlefoot said:

The fossils in this particular rock are some of the poorest that I have actually brought home.  

Funny how sometimes the challenging ones do that. Y'd hate to throw a good one back just because it was unrecognizable. 

• 2 years later...

Hi, to me the square-ish in oval looks like a cross-section of something similar to Baculites, which would fit with the other orthocones.

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley