My First Prep- Simple but Fun

FossilNerd

I guess this is my first prep. It's nothing spectacular, but it's what I would consider my first official go at it. I specifically picked up this fossil in the field in order to try my hand at prep work. It's a single ventral/pedicle valve of the brachiopod Hebertella sp.

I figured it would be something good to start with as it is small, a shape I am familiar with, and a fairly common find in the Upper Ordivician exposure that I have been hunting. So if I messed it up I wouldn't be too broken up about it. The matrix is brittle and flakes away easily. 

Before Photos:

Before.JPG.53e13e0cd5171a1bed2ffb3c29153ebc.JPG

Before3.JPG.18d64b9c447a9cb2f76539b323425c30.JPG

Before2.JPG.2a5e796bee0a8f50eba92f2e3accaace.JPG

I had previously purchased a cheap engraver, but it was cheap for a reason, and it broke as I was trying it out, so I resorted to hand tools. I had a variety of dental picks and a heavy duty scratch awl that I used to prep this little guy. The scratch awl was used to remove the bulk of the matrix, but I switched over to dental picks as I got in close to the fossil. I also used a lighted magnifying lamp to help with the up close work. 

Some progression pictures as I worked to remove the matrix:

During.JPG.711e0578a2daa4cc25c5739b24523ffc.JPG

During2.JPG.98e9a383723715f61763efd101889721.JPG

During3.JPG.bbd5417f202e4a3050535c347e34be0c.JPG

During4.JPG.727bb99a749341084817d5cf24569f66.JPG

This is the point at which I ran out of time and had to stop. It's not completely finished, but the bulk of the matrix has been removed. 

After.JPG.96a200fd6d08388d8e17b98654d67712.JPG

After2.JPG.69b282ed7428d0bda17b3f6abc65f375.JPG

Overall, I think it went fairly well. Using the hand tools had a sense of familiarity to me as I used to hand carve wood a lot, and still do on occasion. I know this wasn't the grandest prep ever, but it did give me a feel for how prepping is done. I enjoyed it. It was relaxing and a bit therapeutic.

I think the next logical step would be using air abrasion to clean up the plications. I have a cheap air abrasion tool that I can use, but I don't have a collection box so I would need to do it outdoors with a mask and plenty of ventilation. I'm curious if there is another option to air abrasion. I thought about using a rotary tool and various brushes, but I figured the brushes would polish away the valve. I wonder what they used "back in the day"? Anyway... Comments, suggestions, constructive criticism is welcome!  :) 

• I found this Informative 9

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Looks great. An appropriate gauge needle dawn down the "grooves" might improve things a bit. Then try working the surface with one of those big, chunky pencil erasers like we had in grammar school. Good luck, have fun. 

• I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Nice work! If you have access to air abrasion that is certainly your best bet. Air abrasion, if done correctly of course, is much better than most mechanical forms of prep. Of course there are exceptions but in general I would say that's the case. You can build a DIY blaster box for fairly cheap too.

• I found this Informative 2

8 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Looks great. An appropriate gauge needle dawn down the "grooves" might improve things a bit. Then try working the surface with one of those big, chunky pencil erasers like we had in grammar school. Good luck, have fun. 

Thanks Snolly! Needles had crossed my mind, but I hadn’t thought of using one of those erasers. I actually have a few believe it or not. I’ll give it a go.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

7 minutes ago, connorp said:

Nice work! If you have access to air abrasion that is certainly your best bet. Air abrasion, if done correctly of course, is much better than most mechanical forms of prep. Of course there are exceptions but in general I would say that's the case. You can build a DIY blaster box for fairly cheap too.

I figured air abrasion was my best bet. I was just curious if there were any other viable options. I’ll look into building a DIY blast box. It’s getting too cold outside for me! Brrr 

1 minute ago, FossilNerd said:

I figured air abrasion was my best bet. I was just curious if there were any other viable options. I’ll look into building a DIY blast box. It’s getting too cold outside for me! Brrr 

Engravers with long fine tips would be my next choice, but they are certainly a distant second. That's what I use since I live in an apartment and thus can't do air abrasion, and there are certainly limitations. Chemical prep can also be good but will only work for specific fossils in specific types of matrix. The only chemical prep I know of for soft shale is potassium hydroxide, but that will only work on certain very nutrient rich shales. For example, I think a member on here tried it on brachiopods from the Upper Ordovician Liberty Formation (exposed by you I think) with little to no success.

• I found this Informative 1

11 minutes ago, connorp said:

Engravers with long fine tips would be my next choice, but they are certainly a distant second. That's what I use since I live in an apartment and thus can't do air abrasion, and there are certainly limitations. Chemical prep can also be good but will only work for specific fossils in specific types of matrix. The only chemical prep I know of for soft shale is potassium hydroxide, but that will only work on certain very nutrient rich shales. For example, I think a member on here tried it on brachiopods from the Upper Ordovician Liberty Formation (exposed by you I think) with little to no success.

I don’t think I really want to get into chemical prep, but I’ll look into the long tip engravers. 
My big issue with the air abrasion is dust. I just can’t handle much of it any more and air abrasion creates a lot. If I use a respirator and have plenty of ventilation I’m usually ok. A blast box should do the trick as well, but I don’t have one handy. I’ll definitely look into building one as you suggested. 

7 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I agree with connorp, but here's another method. Put some dish soap on a steel brush and scrub the fossil under warm running water. It takes some time, depending on the hardness of the matrix, and you'll need a lot of "elbow grease", but it usually does the job in the end. Brachiopod shells are generally quite robust, so it shouldn't damage it. You could also use a bronze brush, but you'd have to brush off the bronze patina in soapy water after you're done scrubbing.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I agree with connorp, but here's another method. Put some dish soap on a steel brush and scrub the fossil under warm running water. It takes some time, depending on the hardness of the matrix, and you'll need a lot of "elbow grease", but it usually does the job in the end. Brachiopod shells are generally quite robust, so it shouldn't damage it. You could also use a bronze brush, but you'd have to brush off the bronze patina in soapy water after you're done scrubbing.

Thanks for the suggestion! I figured a hard scrub with a steel brush would destroy it. I have a variety of brushes. Maybe I could start with a softer one and see what happens. I can always work my way up to a harder and stiffer brush if necessary. I don’t mind a little elbow grease! 

Wayne, 

This is a very nice first prep.  Well done! This is how most of us start out.

I cannot offer any further advice, other than to say you have been given lots of good ideas. 

Thanks for posting this - topics like these show those members that may be too afraid to try their hand at prep that it is OK to attempt it. 

Going slowly, with magnification, sharp tools, and PATIENCE is key.  :) 

Keep up the good work!

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

49 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Wayne, 

This is a very nice first prep.  Well done! This is how most of us start out.

I cannot offer any further advice, other than to say you have been given lots of good ideas. 

Thanks for posting this - topics like these show those members that may be too afraid to try their hand at prep that it is OK to attempt it. 

Going slowly, with magnification, sharp tools, and PATIENCE is key.  :) 

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Tim! I’ve been wanting to try this for a while, but like other prep newbies I was a bit nervous.

Honestly, I debated on even posting this. Just because I see some of the awesome work being done by our seasoned preppers. I thought no one would want to see a little common brach with nothing spectacular going on, but everyone starts somewhere, and I am more than a little proud of myself for not completely ruining the thing. :) 

You have some great advice for new people  wanting to try this. I’d just like to reiterate PATIENCE and taking your time. Don’t force anything and think about what you are doing before you act. If there is a stubborn piece hanging on, leave it and come back to it later. There really wasn’t a lot covering this little guy and it took me almost 2 hours, but the end result was a lot better than if I rushed. 
Of course, if I didn’t stop to oooh and aaah over every piece I revealed I would have gotten done a little sooner. It’s a distinctly wonderful feeling to be the first person to see something in 450-ish million years. :D

My first prep tool was a steak knife so your doing good starting out with dental tools and such.   I too think that air abrasive is your best bet with this fossil and its ok to do it outside if you dont have a box.  Best of luck to ya.

RB

DSCN0210.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Definitely some air abrasion would be by far the quickest route, but if you wanted to try out the wait and see approach, this specimen might be a candidate for potassium hydroxide (KOH) as connorp suggested. It isn't as scary as one might think, just so long as you take certain precautions. 

You have the perfect attitude for prep, and particularly when you say, "If there is a stubborn piece hanging on, leave it and come back to it later." -- Absolutely. Impatience and frustration has ruined many a fossil. When I hit the "roadblock," but still am in the mood for prep, I put the piece aside and take up another and come back to the original piece when I'm more in the right frame of mind. 

And this is very nice for a first prep. The fact that you find it enjoyable means this will be but the first of many to come. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks for the before and after photos. You revealed a lot! As a woodcarver you already have most of the skills and the patience for the endeavor. Each new prep will be even better than the last, I'm sure. I'm just a beginner, too, but like you I enjoy the process. As snolly suggested, some sharp needles might help a bit. A pin vise will hold them nicely, and a small stone will keep them sharp. I haven't tried it yet, but I thought of using a single bristle from a steel brush in a pin vise for some of the smaller details. I don't know if it would work, but maybe. I've had good luck with x-acto knives on some matrix, though the blades get dull pretty quickly. A sharpening stone helps for awhile. In any case,  whatever tools you use, good lighting and good magnification helps immensely. Thanks for sharing your prep, now I'm encouraged to try some of my brachs again.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

@Malcolmt

Thanks for the encouragement. :) 

@Pagurus

Thanks for the advice. I need all I can get!

I’m glad I could inspire to try some of your brachs again. :) 

I also need to give some credit to @Randyw. Except for an electric engraver, he does all his work by hand. I received some sound advice and tips/tricks from him via PM before I tried this, and seeing Randy try (and do) some of the things he does without air abraders, air scribes, and the like, inspired me to give it a whirl. Thanks Randy! Keep prepping those awesome Oreodonts my friend! :thumbsu:

@Kane

Thanks for the words of encouragement and the advice! I’ll look more into the chemical prep side of things. Sounds like it may not be as bad as I thought. 

It’s looking good! You might also try an assortment of tooth brushes. Very little chance of damage but you’ll be surprised at the result. I’d be very careful with using a brush in a rotary tool. It works on some but you can lose detail on others... I’m glad you enjoyed prepping so far! Keep it up and I’ll be looking forward to seeing your future projects! :popcorn:

• I found this Informative 2

42 minutes ago, Randyw said:

It’s looking good! You might also try an assortment of tooth brushes. Very little chance of damage but you’ll be surprised at the result. I’d be very careful with using a brush in a rotary tool. It works on some but you can lose detail on others... I’m glad you enjoyed prepping so far! Keep it up and I’ll be looking forward to seeing your future projects! :popcorn:

Thanks Randy! Hopefully this is the first of many more to come.:)  

I figured the rotary brush would be too aggressive in most situations. Thanks for the warning! I’ll give the tooth brushes a go.  

• 3 weeks later...

Here it is! As finished as it’s going to get. I learned a lot from this first prep. Not too bad for a first try if I do say so myself. :D 

Before:

Before.JPG.53e13e0cd5171a1bed2ffb3c29153ebc.JPG

After:

185CE211-99B4-43F8-B308-472C09C466A8.thumb.jpeg.809bb7e599556168a8430a480c9c93d9.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

That looks real good!  Far better than my first.  Did you coat the shell with something or just hit it with water?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Wow, Wayne, that's very impressive.  It looks like you have the gift.  You've just opened up another whole avenue to enjoy the hobby.  Congratulations on a great  job.

This combined with your new micro camera tool should keep you quite entertained.