Permian extinction souvenirs?

Still_human

Does anyone know of anywhere that sells anything from the Permian extinction layer? I have matrix/micro glass beads from the KT boundary layer, but I can’t find anything like that from the Permian/Triassic boundary layer, but I can’t imagine there just wouldn’t be anything for sale anywhere, so I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I’d be curious about remnants of any extinction, but I’m specifically interested in anything Permian extinction.

As we cannot provide commercial references here per Forum rules, those who can assist the member are encouraged to use the PM system with any recommendations. The topic will now be locked.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• Kane locked this topic
5 hours ago, Still_human said:

... but I can’t imagine there just wouldn’t be anything for sale anywhere, so I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I’d be curious about remnants of any extinction, but I’m specifically interested in anything Permian extinction.

I have never seen anything for sale claiming to be evidence of the Permian extinction events.  :unsure: 

There weren't any meteor strikes that would create the same kind of evidence as micro tektites or iridium layers.

Unless you really want a piece of lava/basalt that is of dubious origin, I don't think there are any "souvenirs" of that extinction event. 

To over simplify - The current hypotheses about the two events that caused the extinctions were 1-  global warming raising the sea temperature levels significantly, and 2- massive volcanic activity/ lava flows, in the vicinity of modern day Russia/Siberia, that caused copious CO-2 accumulation in the atmosphere. This in turn created a Green House effect, warming the entire planet even further.

• I found this Informative 7

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

There is no "Permian extinction layer".  There was a series of extinction events at intervals of as much as hundreds of thousands of years, which cumulatively resulted in the greatest mass extinction in the Earth's history.  Also the cause of the extinctions is a series of volcanic eruptions of the Siberian traps.  The Siberian Traps were a large shield volcano, like Yellowstone today, that cut through coal and clay deposits that on heating by the lava released huge amounts of greenhouse gasses.  This resulted in extreme atmospheric heating, a decrease on oxygen levels, and anoxia and acidification of the oceans, in steps, each step eliminating more and more species.  So, there is no single bed that records the "Permian extinction", and the nature of the event didn't result in easily observed "artifacts" such as spherules or tektites.

Don

Dang! Tim beat me by mere milliseconds!

• I found this Informative 5