Devonian from Pennsylvania (Beltzville) # 2

Johnny676767

From other examples I have seen, I think these are bryozoans (sp?). Is that correct? The first example in question is the one exhibiting pencil-like structure in the center of the rock. In the second picture (of the same specimen), there seems to be a porous structure shown. The shadows may look like the mold is raised from the rock, but it is not. The fossil is an imprint (concave into the matrix). I think these are from the Upper Devonian Mahantango Formation. Thanks 

0A6EFF42-69FD-4D74-BABB-507C729DFA59.jpeg

FE8DE4BE-5A06-4196-9399-A42F1593170B.jpeg

6F80A72B-5E7E-4E11-B508-9BCE89B77913.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum!  The first two picks show a piece of rock that has lots of what appear to be Crinoid columnal sections. they are the round, wheel like fossils. I'm not sure if the thin, cigarette looking fossils are Bryozoans, or Crinoid. I don't see any pores on the exterior which one would see lots of on a Bryozoan. It is also very long and straight which tends to be more like a Crinoid stem or possibly a Cephalopod. The lack of any detail on the exterior is throwing me off here. Is there any detail on the end of the longest piece (towards the bottom right hand corner of your first photo)?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

As seen in the first photo, the smaller cigarette like shape appears to be slightly segmented looking.

Bits of crinoid holdfasts perhaps ?

Aha, Yes I see it now. The smaller cigarette is likely Bryozoan or a coral due to the small pores along the length. The other one is possibly a Rugose coral like Eridiophyllum sp.

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

:headscratch:

Sorry, should have said corralites or zooecia

3214EC04-5E57-4FBE-A09F-C891B54188A4.jpeg.e8c3920783e160b621686e975830c34d.jpeg.e27eda706ccd876b2bb6a1036b6b3df6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

-Dave

2 hours ago, Shamalama said:

Sorry, should have said corralites or zooecia

Like I said :headscratch:

Can't be both, maybe it's neither. :)