January 2020 - Finds of the Month Entries

digit

REMINDER: PLEASE carefully read ALL of the rules below.

Make sure you include all the required information, IN THE REQUESTED FORMAT (below) when you submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM.

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: 

Before and After Preparation Photos must be submitted for prepped specimens NOT  found during the Month of the Contest.

In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds.

Entries will be taken until 11:59:00 PM EDT on JANUARY 31, 2020

Any fossil submitted after that time, even if the topic is still open, will be deemed ineligible! 

Only entries posted with CLEAR photos and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

Tell us more about your fossil, and why you think it is worthy of the honor. 

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!
Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. Find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found personally by you are allowed. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.
  2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per member per contest category.)
  3. Your fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or Significant Preparation * of your fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.
  4. You must include the Date of Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Date of Discovery (if not found in the contest month).
  5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. Please make sure you arrange for photos if someone else is preparing your fossil find and completes the prep requirements in the contest month.
  6. You must include the Common and/or Scientific Name.
  7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the fossil was found.
  8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the fossil was found.
  9. You must include CLEAR, cropped, well-lit images (maximum 4 images). If you are proud enough of your fossil to submit it for FOTM, spend some time to take good photos to show off your fossil.
  10. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

* Significant Preparation = Substantial work to reveal and/or repair important diagnostic features, resulting in a dramatic change in the look of the fossil. The qualification of Significant Preparation is decided at the discretion of staff. Any doubts as to the eligibility of the entry will be discussed directly with the entrant.

******* Please use the following format for the required information: *******

Date of Discovery

Scientific and/or Common Name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region Found

Photos of Find

(Please limit to 4 clear, cropped, and well-lit images.)

(If prepped, before and after photos are required, please.)

I found this last month and started preparing it on the second of January, first two pictures are one side after and before, the second two is the other side after and before.

2nd of January 2020

Acropora .sp

Coral Rock Formation

Barbados 

IMG_0663.thumb.jpeg.f89066f14c0386d577d6ec4d893fad96.jpg

IMG_0649.jpeg

IMG_0664.thumb.jpeg.3a6bee602e66c871839f6a10d5965445.jpg

IMG_0662.thumb.jpeg.e5bb8a03673e73cd71c07e7ee07c2013.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

5 hours ago, fossil_sea_urchin said:

I found this last month and started preparing it on the second of January, first picture is before preparation second is after preparation.

2nd of January 2020

Acropora .sp

Coral Rock Formation

Barbados 

IMG_0662.jpeg

@fossil_sea_urchin

Do you have a photo of the other side?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I found this tooth eroded out of a hillside in an area which has both the Redonda formation and the Bull Canyon formation, however, I believe that it was in a low enough stratum to be Bull Canyon. 

Identifying isolated teeth from the Triassic is difficult, but I believe that I have a solid ID on this one as the tooth matches all the characteristics which I can find described for Postosuchus.  There are no recorded finds of Postosuchus in either the Redonda or Bull Canyon formations, but indeterminate Rauisuchian (the family to which Postosuchus belongs) specimens have been described from the Bull Canyon formation.

Also, I apologize for the awful picture quality.  I will try to get some better pictures for you soon.

Date discovered: January 1, 2020

Name: Rauisuchian indet.

Late Triassic, Bull Canyon Formation

Quay County, New Mexico

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

VFOTM

Found 1/8/2020

Rooted Mosasaur Tooth.

Cretaceous 75 -66 Ma

Navarro Group - Stratigraphic Unit

Northeast Texas 

82400536_10213441687997112_747011932237594624_n.jpg

81630260_10213441687677104_9208477163286691840_n.jpg 82838326_10213441687237093_4180410214589136896_n.jpg

• I found this Informative 23

For the first time I have a chance to enrol a vertebrate fossil :raindance:

Date of Discovery: 04.01.2020

Scientific and/or Common Name: Bison priscus vertebrae

Geologic Age: Pleistocene

State, Province, or Region Found: Góra Kalwaria, Poland

image.png.e763dfaffd5ebb020f386df9b893b98c.png

image.png.b95f23220c2f502cc63a0c41102207cf.png

image.png.b6fc828670b8324c76fb562958046c17.png

• I found this Informative 19

On 1/9/2020 at 3:53 PM, Kasia said:

For the first time I have a chance to enrol a vertebrate fossil :raindance:

Date of Discovery: 04.01.2020

Scientific and/or Common Name: Bison priscus vertebrae

Geologic Age: Pleistocene

State, Province, or Region Found: Góra Kalwaria, Poland

image.png.e763dfaffd5ebb020f386df9b893b98c.png image.png.b95f23220c2f502cc63a0c41102207cf.png image.png.b6fc828670b8324c76fb562958046c17.png

Nice Kasia ! Woo Hoo !

• I found this Informative 2

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

A echinoid to the invertebrate category. I have foto "in situ" but I will take some pictures to of the clean echinoid and with scale.

Found 1/5/2020

Commom name: Echinoid - Texaster sp ?

Geologic Age: Cretaceous

State, Province, or Region Found: Ericeira - Portugal

5e1deeee598fd_Ericeira(PraiadoSul)05.01(1).thumb.JPG.54f8defce4f272b5c4402774823e2ca3.JPG

• I found this Informative 12

I found this guy in October and finally got it prepped.  It took a lot of time and several headaches.  Here are the before and after photos.  It was all prepped in the last two weeks. 

The species is still up for debate among the experts. 

Found 10/9/19

Commom name: bird (Species unknown)

Geologic Age: Eocene, 52 MYA

State Wyoming, USA

American Fossil Quarry

Before prep

IMG_0876.JPG

After prep

IMG_0995.JPG

• I found this Informative 28

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

On 1/15/2020 at 10:09 AM, sseth said:

I found this guy in October and finally got it prepped.  It took a lot of time and several headaches.  Here are the before and after photos.  It was all prepped in the last two weeks. 

Found 10/9/19

State Wyoming, USA

American Fossil Quarry

IMG_0995.JPG IMG_0876.JPG

That's awesome! I gotta get to American Fossil Quarry next time I'm in WY! Fingers crossed I find something like that. 

Found 10/9/19

State Wyoming, USA

American Fossil Quarry

:drool:Speechless here:drool:

On 1/15/2020 at 9:09 AM, sseth said:

Found 10/9/19

State Wyoming, USA

American Fossil Quarry

Seth slays the competition lol. Killer find buddy. Congrats. 

Found 10/9/19

State Wyoming, USA

American Fossil Quarry

:envy::default_faint:

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

68CF2C6D-1A34-491F-9B8C-0FF0695A9133.jpeg

Here is probably the finest crinoid and blastoid assemblage ever found in Arizona. Found in the Mississippian Escabrosa Fm. near Superior, AZ. Finding one crinoid or blastoid cast in Arizona is very hard let alone four or five together. The two largest crinoids in the center and left are likely Physetocrinus lobatus. The upper right is an Orophocrinus saltensis blastoid. The lower right is an unknown crinoid. (Any idea what it is?) The field of view is about 7.5 cm wide.

38113C02-8419-44D1-8186-D1D7EB6C0B58.jpeg

I first found one crinoid head visible on a large rock on November 26th. I came back later to reduce the size of the rock and collect it. Several hours of acid prep revealed four crinoid and one blastoid head. The four best ones remained (top picture) when I finished acid prep on January 20th.

501172CF-F81B-4998-B716-8AF8648E2FFE.jpeg

Discovered November 26, 2019.

Fully prepped on January 20, 2020.

Left to right: probably Physetocrinus lobatus; probably Physetocrinus lobatus; unknown crinoid; Orophocrinus saltensis blastoid

Mississippian Escabrosa Formation

Superior, Pinal County, Arizona

Amazing Arizona Adventures. Link

Amazing Arizona Adventures II Link

• I found this Informative 8

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Now this is starting to get VERY interesting.

Agreed! This month is shaping up to be a good one! So much drool and not enough buckets! :drool:

• Enjoyed 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

This little contest we hold monthly has never failed to attract some lovely (and highly drool-worthy) fossils. This month is no exception. :)

Don't forget to vote for the FOTY contests that are running through Saturday. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken