Teeth identification

Brazos Fossil Finder

Found these teeth all within 50 yards of each other, they are all larger than the previous teeth I posted. Still horse or another animal?

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, Brazos Fossil Finder said:

How old?

Million dollar question.  There are a lot of old teeth found in the Brazos as well as modern.  White, unstained teeth are often modern.  Unless there is clearly fossilized bone attached you really can't tell. My suspicion though is that many of the horse teeth are ancient based on the number of mineralized horse jaws I've seen vs modern.

Bison have lived in the Brazos valley until about 180 years ago, so the bovine tooth might not be that old even if is bison.

2 hours ago, Brazos Fossil Finder said:

How old?

In the case of Equus, no more than 500 years. This is why: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equus_(genus)

EDIT: After learning new information (see the posts following this) I have to correct the above statement to read "either less than 500 or more than 12,000 years.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

26 minutes ago, fossilus said:

Actually although they were reintroduced by Europeans, they lived in North America until the megafauna extinction around 12000 years ago.

I had thought that there were no horses in the Americas at the 12K extinction. I learned something new today and have edited my previous post so no one is accidentally misled by it.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!