South Wales Llantwit Major finds

dotdioscorea

Hi everyone. Spent a few hours at Llantwit major this afternoon and would like some advice on some finds. Really new to fossil hunting so still not sure when I’m looking at something significant or just another rock. Any opinions would be very appreciated! Thanks

first find

63173084-4DDD-4091-AD56-7F0C6D0045E1.jpeg

8E0554F7-12C6-4941-AB2B-221455A45270.jpeg

Here’s what I think:

1.  Belemnite

2.  Bone

3.  Possibly wood.

These IDs are far from certain though, so best to wait for someone with more knowledge than me to confirm.

My guess for all of them is plant/wood, given the varying degree of black carbonized/coaly look to them. The first one looks to irregular for belemnite.

Do you know the age of the rock you're looking in? I'm not familiar with that location.

9 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

My guess for all of them is plant/wood, given the varying degree of black carbonized/coaly look to them. The first one looks to irregular for belemnite.

Do you know the age of the rock you're looking in? I'm not familiar with that location.

The rocks here are Jurassic.

What other kinds of fossils do you find there? Of course even if there are marine fossils, it's not unusual to find wood that was floated out and buried offshore. I find lots of the same here in my local Cretaceous marine shale.