Crinoid holdfast 3D

Ruger9a

Have you ever wondered what the holdfast root system looked like?  I did.  So I prepped one of my least costly duplicates to see the whole picture.  Here are the before photos.

Crinoid root.jpg

Crinoid root2.jpg

Crinoid root3.jpg

This is the only crinoid root specimen I've completely removed all the matrix-----good idea or bad?

18 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

This is the only crinoid root specimen I've completely removed all the matrix-----good idea or bad?

On 1/1/2020 at 3:42 PM, Ruger9a said:

I prepped one of my least costly duplicates to see the whole picture

Given that you have a number of holdfast specimens, I'd say prepping one to remove all matrix is a great idea.  I'm not sure I'd prep all of them, but then I like fossils in matrix with minimal preparation as a rule.

You might find some images on this site that you'd like to add to your holdfast display:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrJ7F39tg9eXbAAkghXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0aXNrb3JhBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQTA2MTVfMQRzZWMDcGl2cw--?p=crinoid+holdfast&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-s

• I found this Informative 1

It is neat to see how the holdfast system looks, but I’m with @grandpa and also prefer my fossils with a little matrix left on. Just my personal preference and nothing against your prep work in the slightest. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Nice job!

Only the one is necessary, I think.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks guys.  No, I don't plan to remove the matrix from any of my others.  I prepped them only to the level where the above ground root were more visible.  Like the photos below.

DSCN0205.JPG

DSCN9378.JPG

DSCN9963.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, grandpa said:

Given that you have a number of holdfast specimens, I'd say prepping one to remove all matrix is a great idea.  I'm not sure I'd prep all of them, but then I like fossils in matrix with minimal preparation as a rule.

You might find some images on this site that you'd like to add to your holdfast display:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrJ7F39tg9eXbAAkghXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0aXNrb3JhBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQTA2MTVfMQRzZWMDcGl2cw--?p=crinoid+holdfast&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-s

Thanks for the info and link Grandpa.  People must really like them as every piece was already sold.