Dog claw? Fossil?

spcchap

Hey everyone,

Happy new year!  My son and I found this today in Hogtown Creek in Gainesville, FL.  To me, it looks like a dog's claw (are they called claws?  nails?).  Anyways, at first my son thought it was a shark tooth, but it doesn't look like any tooth I have ever seen.  It has something that resembles the gums of a tooth.  The bottom is flattened, but that could just be wear.  Please let me know what you think it could be.  Hopefully the pictures are clear.  Thanks in advance!!

Sam

IMG-1425.jpg

IMG-1426 (1).jpg

I'm way more familiar with terrestrial mammals; but to me this looks like a shark's tooth with a broken tip and heavily eroded root......especially the second pic.

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, garyc said:

I'm way more familiar with terrestrial mammals; but to me this looks like a shark's tooth with a broken tip and heavily eroded root......especially the second pic.

You could be right, we need more pictures of the fossil.

Here's some more pics of the sides.  It's about half an inch in size.  It has a very pronounced curve when view from (what I consider to be) the side.  The "tooth" part appears much too rounded to be a shark tooth.  Thanks for the help everyone.  My son very much wants to know what this is.  he was hoping a dire wolf claw, but I don't think so :)

IMG-3106.jpeg

IMG-1429.jpg

IMG-1430.jpg

Probably broken shark tooth, but pics aren't very clear.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I came across this while Googling.  It has some of the same characteristics of what we found: