Can I confirm my ID on this?

KingSepron

48 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It looks more like a branching form of tabulate to me.

Ah, is it possible to be more specific?

If it seem to match looking at in hand you should be close. Knowing the age of the rocks would be helpful though.

Edit: Helpful to someone that is. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Ord O vician ! ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

No problem. It is easier to search the web or on TFF with the correct spelling.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Just did some googling. Striatopora first came about in the mid silurian period, which is too late for the ordovician area I found it, so I am thoroughly confused.

The colony may be shaped more like a large coat button. I have some like that. They were found in glacial drift though so the age of them is unknown.

The reason I don't think it's a favositid is that in the examples I have of them the coralites tend to have more of a gradually tapered look as they radiate from the center.

If you can see small pores in the walls of the coralites it could be meaningful.

Apart from the broken bivalve above it, that's the only thing that seems to be a fossil to me, I can send photos of the other sides of the rock if that could help?

4 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

The colony may be shaped more like a large coat button. I have some like that. They were found in glacial drift though so the age of them is unknown.

The reason I don't think it's a favositid is that in the examples I have of them the coralites tend to have more of a gradually tapered look as they radiate from the center.

If you can see small pores in the walls of the coralites it could be meaningful.

7 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

small pores in the walls of the coralites

I'm talking small. They are like little port holes between the coralites. If you have a jewelers loupe the place to look would be to the left of the bottom end of the ruler in the bottom photo.

2 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I'm talking small. They are like little port holes between the coralites. If you have a jewelers loupe the place to look would be to the left of the bottom end of the ruler in the bottom photo.

Wow! there are some small holes around that area. It also shimmers in the light a lot like my favosites that I got from the same location.

Only a few species of "honeycomb coral" occur in the Ottawa area Ordovician, such as at Eganville.  By far the most common is Foerstephyllum halli, which has hexagonal corallites ~2-3 mm in diameter, short septa, and tabulae spaced +/- 1-2 mm apart.  This species accounts for more than 95% of the specimens of colonial coral you will find.  Foerstephyllum magnificum has similar short septa and regularly spaced tabulae, but the corallites are much larger, 5-8 mm or more in diameter.  It is quite rare compared to Foerstephyllum halli.  Two other rare species are Favestina stellata and Favestina paleophylloides.  In both the septa are long, reaching or almost reaching to the center of the corallite.  Favestina stellata is strictly cerioid, with hexagonal corallites in contact with one another throughout the colony, whereas Favestina paleophylloides has some round corallites that are not touching adjacent corallites.  This species may be an ancestor of Paleophyllum, which occurs higher in the Ordovician.  Both Favestina species are rare in the area.

Another colonial coral in the area is Lichenaria typa, which has small corallites (~1 mm) and no septa.  Nyctopora has similarly small corallites, but it has thick corallite walls and thick blunt septa, so each corallite looks like a tiny star.  Calapoecia canadensis has rounded corallites embedded in a solid colony, with many very short septa and abundant pores in the corallite walls.  All of these species are relatively uncommon, certainly compared to Foerstephyllum halli, and they form small mound-like colonies only a few cm in diameter.

It is hard to see features of your coral in the photos you posted, but there is nothing to suggest that they are not Foerstephyllum halli, and this species is by far the most abundant in the area.

Also it should be mentioned that Foerstephyllum is not a favositid, as it lacks pores connecting the corallites.  Although Rockwood mentioned such pores, I don't see any evidence of them in the posted photos.

Don

• I found this Informative 5

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Only a few species of "honeycomb coral" occur in the Ottawa area Ordovician, such as at Eganville.  By far the most common is Foerstephyllum halli, which has hexagonal corallites ~2-3 mm in diameter, short septa, and tabulae spaced +/- 1-2 mm apart.  This species accounts for more than 95% of the specimens of colonial coral you will find.  Foerstephyllum magnificum has similar short septa and regularly spaced tabulae, but the corallites are much larger, 5-8 mm or more in diameter.  It is quite rare compared to Foerstephyllum halli.  Two other rare species are Favestina stellata and Favestina paleophylloides.  In both the septa are long, reaching or almost reaching to the center of the corallite.  Favestina stellata is strictly cerioid, with hexagonal corallites in contact with one another throughout the colony, whereas Favestina paleophylloides has some round corallites that are not touching adjacent corallites.  This species may be an ancestor of Paleophyllum, which occurs higher in the Ordovician.  Both Favestina species are rare in the area.

Another colonial coral in the area is Lichenaria typa, which has small corallites (~1 mm) and no septa.  Nyctopora has similarly small corallites, but it has thick corallite walls and thick blunt septa, so each corallite looks like a tiny star.  Calapoecia canadensis has rounded corallites embedded in a solid colony, with many very short septa and abundant pores in the corallite walls.  All of these species are relatively uncommon, certainly compared to Foerstephyllum halli, and they form small mound-like colonies only a few cm in diameter.

It is hard to see features of your coral in the photos you posted, but there is nothing to suggest that they are not Foerstephyllum halli, and this species is by far the most abundant in the area.

Also it should be mentioned that Foerstephyllum is not a favositid, as it lacks pores connecting the corallites.  Although Rockwood mentioned such pores, I don't see any evidence of them in the posted photos.

Don

Wow, thank you so much!

Just so i can guarantee the ID on this, I’m attaching two more detailed pictures. Thanks again for taking the time to explain that to me!

405AA425-34AC-47EF-96AF-C82634B78EB5.jpeg